• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front end refresh/strengthening

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,

I recently picked up a 98 B3000 4x4 with 180,000 miles. I’ve had other 4x4 vehicles in the past but not have had the IFS that this Ford has. I really want to take this truck off-roading and beat on it a bit because I’ve always babied my other cars. The plan as of right now is to swap in an 8.8 in the rear and keep the 31 A/T tires that I have. The front suspension on this truck is something completely new to me. I don’t want to do a solid axle swap as I’m a semi broke student and I’m not sure I’d have the time for it. Anyways my main question is what could I do the the front end to make it stronger/safer/more reliable? I would like to keep it at least semi stock if possible. Would new bushings be worth the money? Also is the 7.5 inch rear end capable with the 31 inch tires if I toss a locker in it or would it be better to just go for the 8.8 swap?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
For 31s and an open diff the 7.5 is up to it. For a locker I'd go with a 31 spline 8.8.

IFS, even the light-duty version on the Ranger isn't inherently weak. Chevy has used a similar setup in their 3/4 ton pickups for decades.

I would check it all over good, replace any worn joints or bushings, and go from there.

I personally prefer TTB to IFS because the difficulty in working on the two is about the same, provided all the right tools are available, but TTB parts are much cheaper. One wheel bearing for an IFS suspension is usually about $135. I can get all four of my front whee bearings for less than $50. Just one example.

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys :icon_thumby: I’ll probably swap in the 8.8 and leave the front end as is for now after I check out the bushings

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Do take the time to ensure your vacuum hubs are working properly. If not, you can chase down all the vacuum lines as well as make a small modification to the outside of them that allows you to engage them by hand in a few seconds.

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Do take the time to ensure your vacuum hubs are working properly. If not, you can chase down all the vacuum lines as well as make a small modification to the outside of them that allows you to engage them by hand in a few seconds.
Sorry to berate you guys with questions but what is this modification that you speak of?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals