• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

daily doubler build

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
welp he was wrong. I switched the wires and now it reads super empty. the sending unit is essentially a variable resistor right? what is the resistance range? I can calculate the added resistance from extending the wires and see if its significant.

back to the build, I got my bed on and my fuel filler hose is coming out of my bed. schools back in session so I won't get to work on it till next sat. night. at that time I'll fab a little box to mount the filler hose and take progress pics.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've got a pump/sender I just checked...

The sender is a simple wirewound variable resistor, with one end at ground.

With the float arm all the way down, it read something like 5-10Ω, with the arm up, it was around 200Ω.

So my thinking is... if the gauge always pegs full, the sender wire is not connected at all, or the resistor is bad (open circuit). If the gauge is stuck on empty, then it's grounded out (or wires reversed).

hope that helps

Last edited:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah that helps a lot, thanks junkie. that tells me that there's no way the added resistance in the extended wires would cause it to stop working completely. an added 10ft (5ft per wire) of 18ga wire only adds ~.075ohms resistance. that wouldn't even affect the reading. if I pull my bed off I'll check the plug to make sure everythings good.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
got a little more done. my g/f took all these pics so we got some sweet action shots ha.

here's my current fuel filler hose location

so tonight I made a box to rigid mount the hose to.

top plate

cutting sides

side one welded up

welding up side two

box complete

slung some paint to keep the rust down and called it a night

haven't got it welded into my bed yet but the hard work's done. next weekend the cases go in.

Last edited:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
welp I was drivin home thursday night and my truck sputtered and died. all the fuel lines were attached and no leaks were evident. I left it in a guys driveway overnight and friday morning I went out there. put a bottle of HEET in it in case there was some moisture in the tank and towed it home. still wouldn't start. swapped in a new fuel filter and got it to fire but had a super erratic idle and eventually died. needless to say I didn't get to put the cases in this weekend, instead I got to play mechanic.

I went ahead and bought a fuel pressure guage so I could see if my fuel pump was still good. hooked it up on the shrader at the fuel rail and it read 0psi. great. so I took the fuel line off the tank and turned the key. gas came out but not nearly fast enough to be at 40psi. so I pull the pump out of the tank and one of the hoses slipped off somehow. sucks but kinda nice since it was an easy free fix. I went ahead and flared the tube, slipped the hose back on and tightened the clamp as tight as it would go. the only good part was since I had the pump out again I could get some better pics of how I shortened it. I also got some pics of the box that will house the filler hose so you guys can see how it fits.

its a decent fit, good enough to weld up I hope

tomorrow I'll go down and put the bed back on and weld the box to the bed so the tank swap will be completely done. maybe I'll get to the cases next week *crosses fingers*

Last edited:

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Looking good man, nice fab work.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Too much hassle to put a fuel door on the outside of the bed?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Too much hassle to put a fuel door on the outside of the bed?
:woot:

damn i wish i could put my fuel access there......but having to unload shit to tank up all the time would be a pisser.

couldnt you hear the pump running and spewing?

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks loanranger

junkie-I would've loved to have my fuel door on the outside, but I wasn't up to all the body work. it wouldn't have been pretty, I'm stick welding sheet metal here lol

walter-the pump did sound a little funny but nothing that really stood out. when I pulled the pump out the return line was off and after I got it out the feed line hose came off. I guess the feed clamp was just loose so it wouldn't hold the pressure. kinda wierd the clamp was loose but it's tight now so its all good

well I got everything back together and the box welded into my bed. sorry no 'raw' post welding pics. you're lucky you're seeing these. before its all done I'm gonna bondo in some nice radius' and herculine the bed. talk about booger welds omg. this was one of the most frustrating things I've had to do in my life. I needed to use 1/16in rod so it would melt at 40amps but it wasn't filling enough so I stepped up to 3/32in and it was all I could do to hold an arc. any hotter and it'd burn right through. I need a damn mig

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
well thats pretty damn good for the conditions and tools used. better then i....i would have used the alternator and cut rod for fill and 2 passed with the 1/16....and not done that well.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried to cut the rod for fill and it seemed it would get hot before the sheetmetal and would just melt and drip. my final technique was to use the 3/32 rod, start the weld enough to get the two pieces joined then lift the rod. let it cool enough to where I couldn't see the glow through my hood then weld another little bit, let it cool etc. it took a while to get the box completely welded up. its solid though, before I had my bed bolted down I could move my whole bed by shaking the box. after its finished with bedliner and everything it'll look right at home.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey buddy all you had to do was ask and I could have moved your gas door to the back. Its a simple job but does involve some painting when done.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
DAMNIT! haha, it would be nice to have it out there but like you said I'm kinda hesitant with the whole blending paint deal. if I decide to do it in the future I'll give you a holler. I appreciate the offer

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
looks real good!

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, atleast we know you fuel filler neck will survive the holocost LOL

got a little more done. my g/f took all these pics so we got some sweet action shots ha.

here's my current fuel filler hose location

so tonight I made a box to rigid mount the hose to

top plate

cutting sides

side one welded up

welding up side two

box complete

slung some paint to keep the rust down and called it a night

haven't got it welded into my bed yet but the hard work's done. next weekend the cases go in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals