• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brazing ?

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I'm trying to braze a drain plug into my transmission pan. I brazed it once and it leaked. I found that the pan was cracked in the braze area. I ground the brazing off and brazed it again and it still has cracks. I wonder, I'm I getting it too hot? Is the plug, being thicker and the thin metal of the pan a problem? I went out a bought another pan today. The junk yard had no idea with the problem could be The reviews for this item talked about welding it in. Can anyone offer advice?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well obviously welding is always going to be stronger than brazing so that would be my first choice if you can get access to a welder. Brazing stuff like that is kind of a dead and useless art anymore (no offense). If you're dead set on brazing are you using nickle silver rod? And are you allowing it to cool slowly enough?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I gas welded a drain plug into mine- using a coat hanger for a welding rod- and it worked fine, if you can braze it you can gas weld it, too.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Are you people time travelers? :dntknw:

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I think I must be. Aren't torgue converter vans brazed? Anyway, I don't have a welder. I can find a welder to do it I guess.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Aren't torgue converter vans brazed?
Kinda... Most converters just have fins that are press fit. Higher performance units have the fins furnace brazed to keep them from coming loose. the brazing is just "insurance" not the main joining method. They use furnace brazing because it is super duper cheap and requires almost no skill from the worker. The units are heated in a furnace to the proper temp to melt the filler and then roll down to a worker who basically just dabs a brazing rod on them without using a torch.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Big'Un

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ram
Engine Size
5.7 Hemi
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
$hit Happens
What are the trans pan and drain plug made of ? Are you using bare brazing rods or the pre-coated ones ? Using flux ?

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Parts need to be really clean and heated to the correct temp. for brazing to work well. It's been a long time but I have a couple projects on the back burner waiting for some brazing. Brazing is plenty strong, I have a nail puller that was brazed by my grandfather that is still working. I'm pretty sure old motorcycle frames were brazed together.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Is the pan steel or aluminum?

If it's aluminum then the whole thing might need to be heated and then cooled slowly. Just about anything cast gets cranky when brazed/welded.

If it's steel, I'm not sure what's going on, other than that there are a TON of residual stresses from stamping that are pulling it apart after what is basically localized heat treating. Also yes, you may be getting it too hot, and going past the upper critical temperature, where the carbon dissolves into martensite., and when it cools too rapidly in that state, it will definitely crack and be extremely brittle. Cooling slowly is the key. Though, similar things can (well, do) happen with welding too. This depends on a lot of what alloy of steel it is.

Given your pan is cracking and not the plug, the plugs weld-ability is fine.

Without being a super expert on welding/brazing, nor knowing exactly what the base materials are, I can only suggest slowly heating the whole piece, and slowly cooling it back down, I also think you may be getting it on the too-hot side of things.

Brazing is plenty relevant today, and a lot of materials are more easily brazed than welded as it doesn't melt the base material. The only difference between Brazing and welding is temperature.

Welding temperature is classified as any temperature high enough to melt the base metals together.

Brazing is done generally in the 1200°F-1600°F, so if you're getting the base metal hotter than a dull red, you're getting it too hot.

Soldering is a filler metal that is liquid below 850°F, basically low temp brazing.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
OK, so I went to a junk yard and a body shop and no one offered any advice on what was wrong with my brazing. But while at the junk yard I found a a4ld off a four wheel drive vehicle. I bought the pan off it for $40.00. It protrudes a few inches lower and now I'll put the drain plug into it. I found a really nice welder who welded it for only $10.00 but I gave him $20.00 because he was worth it. So, to put a drain plug in I paid $40.00 for two drain plugs, $40.00 for another pan, $20.00 for welder, plus running around just to get a drain plug installed, that's $100.00. I'll also need a different filter with the deeper pan.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you ask the welder about your braze job?

Last edited:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What he said

Also a couple of things that might help

1 there is a heat absorbing paste can't remember the name of it off hand but you can use it on the pan to help keep it from cracking.

2 you need a paste flux

3 when brazing 2 dissimilar metals like steel and brass you need a rod with a higher silver content I believe.

4 if you are getting material dull red it can get too hot very quickly

5 rod should follow the heat and flow into the joint any excess material from the rod does not make it any stronger and is just waste

https://www.lucasmilhaupt.com/NA/EN/Brazing-Academy/Brazing-Fundamentals.htm

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/~/media/Files/PDF/Articles/Oxyfuel-brazing-primer.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjFgvDPovzfAhUYHjQIHXnXC4gQFggNMAE&usg=AOvVaw0YhfgyqwAG-8RSzw8lHTFH

Couple of links that might help you

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals