• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

time for more flex .... hope u guys can help

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
dang... so much for helping out the OP here.

to the OP. xj coils. 5" xj coils as listed above. the steering kit you should look at is the superrunner steering kit for RBV's. you can also modify it to accept 1 ton TRE's if needed. longer radius arms w/ flex joints on the end (this one is debatable, some say that flex joints are not needed)...

to the sas or ttb thing.. agree to disagree.. pure and simple, some people you won't convince things. you don't have to come across as such a jerk tho... i've seen several threads where you come across as just a cocky jerk, easy way to make people not like you... not that you probably care lol. just agree to disagree. some people think sas is the only answer
i was once gonna go to the dark side of sas... but decided i can make the ttb FLEX as much as i want it to. it'd do everything i want my b2 to do... now if i could just get around to installing my d35 ttb.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Oddly enough I love TTB trucks... Ford's little bastard child. My only thing is flex isn't wheel travel. Those trucks can do ton's of shit my old SLA couldn't dream of. That is why I went SFA. I personally see no reason for SAS'ing a TTB short of 37" tires or true blue rock crawling. Which is were flex comes into play. There is a reason you don't see pro rock crawlers repping up D50 TTB's converted to coil overs and what not. Strong as they are they still don't behave like a SFA. They get wonky on rocks (and in high speed corners).

Want a shit ton of travel out of a TTB? Go to light weight XJ coils. They compress great under Ranger's even the SAS'd ones. On top of that get a good set of long travel shocks and extended radius arms I would do flex joints on the frame end but thats me.

Will it act just like a SFA? NOPE. Will it act a million times better than the stock TTB? YEP. Will it accomplish what 90% of the members of this forum need? YEP.

And if anyone is curious big chunk of my assholyness stems from popping major pain killers for recent surgery on a previously shattered wrist and ****ed up back. Not an excuse just an FYI. :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
My only thing is flex isn't wheel travel.
I just read a majority of this thread and im sorry I cant let this go, you keep arguing this point and that is your opinion. Fact is yes it is the same thing. As Junkie said, wheel travel, articulation, flex, its not referring to the forces and or axle mounting geometry, its talking about how much the tire moves up and down. Simple as I can put it.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Shhhh! Don't say that or sir flexalot will be angry. On a serious note this one has been beaten. The guy thinks he's right, majority of us don't, that's as far as this will ever go.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

maniak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've also gone with the thinking of staying TTB and getting as much usable suspension travel as I could..

I'm using the Duff 3.5" springs up front with f-150 spring seats under them. My droop limiting factor is the springs are too short. However, if I let the axle drop more (remove the spring) my next limiting factor is the body of the shock actually hits the side of the Radius arm. My up travel is limited by the fender and airbox. I hit those right about the time I bottom out the shock.

I'm also already getting to the limit of the steering parts (hard to turn when fully flexed) and the axle shaft does rub just a hair at full travel (yes, I've opened the hole).

One item that is really lacking in the TTB setup is ground pressure on the drooping tire. With TTB if your near max flex the ground pressure you have is only from the weight of the tire/wheel/axle etc. With a Solid front axle as one side is pushed up the other side is pushed down so you get some extra ground pressure.

Even with that, I like having TTB..

Truckhaven-mlk 2012 -5 - close up by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
There is nothing I disagree with in the above post. He hits all of the points I was trying to make but explains them better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals