• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'02 4.0 5 speed stiff shifting...

KingSlew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'03
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Recently acquired '02 Ranger - 5 speed - 4x4 -
Stiff shift especially when cold.
Fluids correct & full.
Have to fight it into 1st & reverse when standing (not in motion) Can roll it in pretty easily.
Ideas?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Most likely the clutch hydraulics or pilot bearing problems. That does not sound like transmission problems.

KingSlew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'03
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most likely the clutch hydraulics or pilot bearing problems. That does not sound like transmission problems.
How to tell for sure???

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
How to tell for sure???
where in pedal height does the clutch engage and disengage? if it's right at the very very top it's probably just about due for a change out, Mileage? how old is the clutch? is it the original? Drain and put in a synthetic or a highly recommended fluid, I use Castrol synchromesh in mine.
When you shift, go into second and then into first sometimes it'll go in allot easier.

KingSlew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'03
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After further analysis, probably pilot bearing. Thanks for the help...

kwatson72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the same problem. I know my pilot bearing is toast. It started rattling really bad upon disengagement(release) of clutch, but made no noise when fully depressed, eliminating the throw out bearing (the way I understand it anyways.). Mine is in the shop now for a complete clutch replacement along with transmission input shaft bearing. I just bought the truck from a local dealer. The muffler had been removed, so I didn't hear the noise on the test drive. When I installed a muffler, it was very apparent, and got worse quickly. $725 for this work. Dealer told me "Too bad, nothing we can do.". I bought this as a project I could use as a commuter while fixing up, but this job was a little over my head. Can't even see those top 2 bellhousing bolts!

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I bought my truck basically for the cost of new tires because it had a bad transmission I had no trouble getting to the two top bolts, just laid across the top of the engine it was a pleasant surprise on the otherwise difficult and very unpleasant job
I have the same problem. I know my pilot bearing is toast. It started rattling really bad upon disengagement(release) of clutch, but made no noise when fully depressed, eliminating the throw out bearing (the way I understand it anyways.). Mine is in the shop now for a complete clutch replacement along with transmission input shaft bearing. I just bought the truck from a local dealer. The muffler had been removed, so I didn't hear the noise on the test drive. When I installed a muffler, it was very apparent, and got worse quickly. $725 for this work. Dealer told me "Too bad, nothing we can do.". I bought this as a project I could use as a commuter while fixing up, but this job was a little over my head. Can't even see those top 2 bellhousing bolts!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals