• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel line leak

welderman85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all my ranger started leaking gas. Its coming from the braided line. Its mounted to the frame rail then heads to the motor. Its leanings at what looks to be were two parts of line were joined together at the factory. Its really crusty. I can't find a replacement online and I look inactive junk yard with no luck. What other options do I have. Thank you

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What year Ranger?

1997 and older had 2 fuel lines,
Pressure line from the Fuel Filter to injector rail on engine, 30psi pressure
Return line, no pressure just flow, it connects to fuel pressure regulator on engine and runs to the top of the gas tank

1998 and up, just has 1 fuel line, 60psi pressure, fuel filter to engine

You can replace the fuel filter to engine lines, which reads like the one that is leaking, by making one with correct ends, which changed by year and engine size

welderman85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's a 95 both the supply and return are crusty in the same spot

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I've had this issue before, if the crimps on the engine side braided lines are bad, your only options are junkyard hunting for replacement lines, or converting the fittings on the engine to -6 an fittings and running new lines, Ford had a listing for them a few years ago but recently they have become an obsolete part as far as I know. If you live around a good hydraulic shop you may be able to get them to trim down the lines and crimp on some female JIC (AN) fittings and adapt to the frame lines with some of the many readily available AN to springlock adapters available from jegs and summit racing. I was very fortunate to be able to find a perfect set in a junkyard near me, which is very difficult to do in the northeast.

Cravey Dockett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Having this issue now on the return hose, a 94 with 4.0L, a scant 70K on original engine but everything that can rust is rusting at the speed of light.

RonD: from your description would it be viable to simply close off the return hose at the regulator end of the rail and run on pressure alone, like the '98 and up models?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You could but fuel line connections might start leaking a bit and Computer would being setting Rich codes

1997 and earlier are setup for max. 42 psi pressure, that's when FPR(fuel pressure regulator) on the engines fuel rail opens without vacuum assist.
1998 and up have FPR in the gas tank which is set for 65psi

Without any FPR on the system I am not sure what the upper limit for the fuel pump pressure would be, so fuel lines could start to leak
And the computer expects 30psi so open time for injectors is based on that, if it was 70psi then too much fuel flows thru injectors so computer would have to close them earlier, and that sets Rich code
And the engine would probably stumble quite often once computer adjusted to the higher pressure, because pressure wouldn't be stable when load on engine varied
As more fuel was needed say at 70MPH pressure would be less, say 50psi, then when you slowed down it would pop back up to 70psi, so computer would close injectors faster, then when you went to speed up again, Stumbling because injectors timing is off again

No, prbably not a good idea

Cravey Dockett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wuz gonna try it but now I'm not so sure :oops:. Thank you for the background!

Last night I removed the hose assembly from the fuel filter to the fuel rail. As those braided hoses are no longer available I soldered up the hole in the return line, it holds pressure once again. If I can reinstall the assembly I might have a running truck again, enough to sell :)

I wonder if the Bronco used a similar setup, and might those hoses still be available...?

Cravey Dockett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Installed the filter-to-engine bay line assembly (still available from Ford $210) and soldered up the rusted holes in both braided steel engine lines (no longer available) at the springlock connections. I had to police the inside of the fittings afterwards to smooth out the solder blobs. The reinstalled braided lines work as designed; the supply line has a faint whisper of seepage, perhaps 2 drops per hour, probably acceptable. I did not need the tank-to-filter lines, also available from Ford $250.

Thank you to RonD, holyford86, welderman85 and TheRangerStation!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals