• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Good replacement Level II Shocks

trailbikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I searched on this topic and didn't find anything. I have an '04 Level II with going on 148,000 miles that is still on the original Bilstein shocks. I'm looking to replace the shocks in the spring but I don't feel like shelling out the cash for Bilsteins. I work at NAPA and we offer some Monroe Sensa-Tracs as well as Reflexes for it, but I'm curious if anyone recommends a cost effective alternative to the Bilsteins that still handles/rides good onroad as well as for light duty offroad tasks?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
KYB makes some decent shocks (I've had their "Gas-a-Just" shocks on my Ranger for a good while now). They have maybe a bit more harshness than the Bilsteins if you hit a pothole or similar, but otherwise they seem to be just as firm and controlled.

After 148K miles though, I'd have no issue whatsoever putting down the $$$ for a new set of 5100-series Bilstein shocks. They should easily last for another 148K.

trailbikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's probably true, however I don't do enough offroading for me to warrant needing the Bilsteins again.

crankyjew2d2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
I've got sensa-tracs on my '02 fx4. I've been very happy with them.

trailbikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've pretty much decided I'm going to put a set of Relfexes on it. I can get a set of four out the door at work for under $150.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals