• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 rad/cooling pics/ideas

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I am rebuilding the mounting plates, and getting the slots set back another inch and a half. this will set the motor deeper into the firewall. I have found a belt driven water pump that shaves off 1.5 inches from the depth, plus found an electric fan that is just 2 inches deep and has 16 inch blades. these mods will give me the missing depth for the engine. Will also be looking into that nice rad that was posted earlier in here to keep it all cool.

thanks for the help and will post up pics as I get the parts .... arrrgh no cheap way to do these style builds.... :) cheers

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

thanks for the help and will post up pics as I get the parts .... arrrgh no cheap way to do these style builds.... :) cheers
I think the least expensive way to do any custom build.............is to buy it already done, :)

And if the only point is to have a V8 Ranger then that's what you do.

The journey and the work, when it's done of course, lol, is the part you remember, and while you do make payments on it :), you can't ever buy that experience, you can only earn it.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
"you can't ever buy that experience, you can only earn it."

How true.......

I wasn't whining... i was just saying that every time on the truck it is two steps forward and one step back ... LOL cheers

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Didn't think you were, which is why I had "when it is done, of course, lol".

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, stopped in at friends tonight to pick up 2 newly made plates to reset the engine deeper into the body. all bolted up great.

now from the front of the timing cover to the deepest spot inside the grill there is 12.5 inches for placement of water pump, fan and rad.

does anyone run this smaller nosed water pump in their build? if so how deep is it?

thanks https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-312677/overview/make/ford

if any of you guys were to measure from timing cover to inside, how much room you figure you are running?

and this is the fan i am hoping to get. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/bci-75058/reviews/?sortReviews=Newest

cheers

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Ordered the rad today, will pick it up Friday after work. The northern one. NOR205138

$350 Can. after taxes. ouch

will post up pics after it is all installed. thanks for the help guys

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
not installed, but sitting in the area.... slips right into place, just needing to build the mounting for this.

Thanks for the lead on it!!

Attachments

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You must work for Mr.Gasket in sales because now I want one :)

I think any tool that gives you another opinion or angle on issues is worth it. It would also remind short memory people to not twist the cap because the gauge would tell you how quickly your skin would peel off if you open it.

buddharacing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FoMoCo
Engine Size
2.8 Liter
Transmission
Manual
I would like to see a picture or a blue print of the plate motor mounts with the slider slots. Also I'm planning on using a small condenser coil running off my heater hoses to have auxiliary cooling. But my build is a straight off road truck in progress. The tech section is vague besides 7" long plates and 1/4 thick.

Last edited:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I would like to see a picture or a blue print of the plate motor mounts with the slider slots. Also I'm planning on using a small condenser coil running off my heater hoses to have auxiliary cooling. But my build is a straight off road truck in progress. The tech section is vague besides 7" long plates and 1/4 thick.
Hi, we didn't make a slider, we measured up 1 1/2 inches and made a hole, then copied the plate on the next one. I will take a pic of the plate we used, then we added a bit more beef to the area where it bolts to the front of the motor. He is going to make another set for his 351W build, using the same plates... i will get a picture of what he does.

JAMMAN....

I went to a performance store today to order my fan for the build. the fellow there said they get many of these thermostat caps returned... he said they fog up or leak a bit with the seals... not sure if I will try one or not... this is why i was asking in here if any one uses one and how they like it before i venture into dropping 40 bucks on one.

I am loving the fitment of this rad....

cheers

Last edited:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
mounted in the rad last night. there is 3 inches room in between the water pump and the rad. the 2 inch fan is on order and I will be getting a piece of thin gauge stainless steel to make the shroud out of and mount the fan to that. ... cheers and will post up pics as this gets finished.

Attachments

faststang90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
this is mine

I changed over to a electric water pump. this is a race only truck.

chris-2-4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anybody running with one of these style caps? and if so, you like them?

thanks

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mrg-2470s/overview/
I bought one from Summit back in November. I thought is was pretty cool.
It was SUPER hard to install, which i thought was weird. It was like it was built for a specific radiator and different from mine. I did finally get it on though. Then, a couple weeks ago it started leaking. I had to take it off and put an old crappy one back on. I wouldn't buy again.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Chris, Welcome to the TRS and thanks for the reply. Yes same thing I had heard about them from a high perf parts place. these seem to leak and cause more troubles than they are worth. the store doesn't even carry them anymore for the amount they get returned the sales guy said it wasn't worth the effort.

too bad though, great idea having the dial there and they do look neat.

cheers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals