• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LED Dash Bulbs?

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Are the LED's dimable? I know with home lighting, LED's - some are dimable and some are not.
They do dim, but they also cut out and flicker.....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Flash Gordan

Savior of the Universe!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
They do dim, but they also cut out and flicker.....

I have LED's in the dash cluster of my 01 Sport Trac and haven't had any cut out or flicker.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
From my thread. I used cheap Chinese LEDs off eBay and they worked great

Got some blue 194's for the gauges

Installed, kind of a fuzzy picture, but I think it looks awesome

:icon_thumby:

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Mine's a '92, so it may just be a thing for older models

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I like that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

walliss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Dash LED replaacement Bulbs

I have a similar question relating to low light after switching to LEDs.
FYI the truck is a 2009 Super Cab w/4.0L, auto & 4X4. It had the small mini bulbs - smaller than 194's. I replaced all with LEDs and now the dimmer switch can only iluminate the main gauges in very low brightness. That is with the dimmer set on high.

Is this a common issue with LEDs? The three LEDs in the turn signals and bright headlights work great but they are a different circuit from trhose on the dimmer switch.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I replaced all with LEDs and now the dimmer switch can only iluminate the main gauges in very low brightness. That is with the dimmer set on high.
Not all LEDs are equal. How many LED chips (SMDs) are on each LED assembly you installed? 1, 3, 5, more? This will affect the light output. There may also be different SMD chips with different light outputs.

I'm not an LED expert. But here is what I do know.

LED's are not resistive devices like light bulbs. If you have a resistor type dimmer for your dash lights, then it will not properly dim LEDs. LEDs are made to have a particular voltage across them ie; 2.1volts. In a circuit of higher voltage, a resistor is normally installed in series to drop the voltage and limit the current through the LED. In the LED assemblies we are buying to replace cluster lighting, the resistors are built into the assembly. When you turn your dimmer switch, you further reduce the voltage to the LED. It remains at almost a constant brightness until it stops conducting when the voltage across the actual SMD chip falls below the threshold.

The normal and best way to dim LED's is to use a pulse width modulated (PWM) power supply. This is a power supply that keeps the voltage constant, but turns the power on and off at a high frequency. The time that the power is on is a pulse. Varying the width of the pulse changes the percentage of time that the LED gets power - wider pulse, the LED is on more time per second than with a narrower pulse. The frequency is high enough that our eyes do not detect the flickering of the LED turning on and off. But the overall effect makes the LED appear to be dimmer or brighter. Newer vehicles may have LED lights and PWM power supplies for them. I can't tell you which ones do or don't.

Chances are, if your originally had incandescent lights, then you have a resistor type dimmer and LEDs will not dim properly.

I hope this helps.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Not all LEDs are equal. How many LED chips (SMDs) are on each LED assembly you installed? 1, 3, 5, more? This will affect the light output. There may also be different SMD chips with different light outputs.

I'm not an LED expert. But here is what I do know.

LED's are not resistive devices like light bulbs. If you have a resistor type dimmer for your dash lights, then it will not properly dim LEDs. LEDs are made to have a particular voltage across them ie; 2.1volts. In a circuit of higher voltage, a resistor is normally installed in series to drop the voltage and limit the current through the LED. In the LED assemblies we are buying to replace cluster lighting, the resistors are built into the assembly. When you turn your dimmer switch, you further reduce the voltage to the LED. It remains at almost a constant brightness until it stops conducting when the voltage across the actual SMD chip falls below the threshold.

The normal and best way to dim LED's is to use a pulse width modulated (PWM) power supply. This is a power supply that keeps the voltage constant, but turns the power on and off at a high frequency. The time that the power is on is a pulse. Varying the width of the pulse changes the percentage of time that the LED gets power - wider pulse, the LED is on more time per second than with a narrower pulse. The frequency is high enough that our eyes do not detect the flickering of the LED turning on and off. But the overall effect makes the LED appear to be dimmer or brighter. Newer vehicles may have LED lights and PWM power supplies for them. I can't tell you which ones do or don't.

Chances are, if your originally had incandescent lights, then you have a resistor type dimmer and LEDs will not dim properly.

I hope this helps.

its easy to identify them at night. rapidly scan your eyes from side to side while behind one. the pulses will form a distinct row of several lights as they pulse on & off.

walliss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you Eric! Great explanation. Went with LEDs b/c the dealer wanted $32 each for the replacement bulbs. Will look some more for incandescents to replace the originals. Steve.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Thank you Eric! Great explanation. Went with LEDs b/c the dealer wanted $32 each for the replacement bulbs. Will look some more for incandescents to replace the originals. Steve.
try searching any parts store site for 2721LL they are $4.99 for a pack of 2 at Autozone, brand is Sylvania.

walliss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info. Picked them up yesterday.

mtame5735

Reaction score
The other bulbs are T5 and T4.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals