• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with buying the right back spacing.

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!
Hey y'all, looking for some help selecting the right back spacing for my setup.

I'm going to replace the 31x10.50's on stock 5.5" rims on my bronco II with a set of 32x11.50's on new 8" rims.

Right now the truck is pretty squirrely at highway speeds, which I attribute some to the removal of the sway bars. But, I think a lot has to do with the narrow track of the stock wheels, and sidewall roll of 31's on stock skinny wheels.

looking at these wheels: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clm-5375812-3/overview/

I am wanting a little wider track with these 32's, what backspacing should I be looking at? I was initially thinking 3" to 3.75", but I really don't know. Any help would be appreciated!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think you may have other issues contributing to your poor handling.

I know the B2s can be squirrley due to high COG, narrow track width, and short wheel base, but my Ranger has 31x10.50s on those exact rims and I have no tire-related handling issues (or really any at all) at high speeds. Consequently I would look at other things like tire inflation and worn/damaged steering and suspension components before suspecting the combo of wheel and tire.

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well, I am still looking at 32's anyway...

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
What backspacing are some of you running? The point is I will be buying 32's and could use a little help. I've seen 3.75" mentioned a few times, seems pretty common. Anyone have pics of your setups (1st gen) with backspacing?

Thanks again!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Have you looked at the documentation in the "How To" section here on the site?

Do you have a suspension lift? Body lift? Both? This is a guide to get your BII to clear 32 inch tires....

https://therangerstation.com/how-to_pages/ford_ranger_tire_fitment.shtml

I think your stock wheels are probably 7 inches wide with a 4.5 inch backspace. Going with an 8 inch wheel and 3.75 backspace will widen your stance but will increase your chances of rubbing with the suspension flexed and turning the wheels from lock to lock.

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I think your stock wheels are probably 7 inches wide with a 4.5 inch backspace. Going with an 8 inch wheel and 3.75 backspace will widen your stance but will increase your chances of rubbing with the suspension flexed and turning the wheels from lock to lock.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for, I already planned on trimming the fenders. It has about 2.5" of lift now. I had seen 3.75" used quite a bit, but wanted to be sure. My stock wheels are of the 15x5.5 variety, pretty skinny, but I'm not sure of the backspacing, probably 4.5"

Edit: just found the wheel fitment guide, and looks like 3.75" is recommended for an 8" wheel (explains why I see that number so much). Thanks for everyones help, I'll post the finished product...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals