• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

It has begun! (Official Trucks! TV 4.6L Mazda B-Series / Ford Ranger build)

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Hey KT, you're good with body work so you should make a big fiberglass bum in the bed. That blown Cobra setup is going to haul ass. :)

kttrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah.... but the fiberglass gets itchy fast, and I wouldn't get past the first cheek before I had to quit, then where would I be? It would just look like a Scion or something. The front mounts for the Cobra IRS are exactly in the middle of the frame rails, so making mounting points for the rear and spring poclets should be realatively easy. Dialing in the ride height and the correct plane for both front and rear is the main challenge... then it;'s finding the correct offset of wheel/tire to fit under the bed.

I'm really looking foreword to driving this one! Lots of our projects are fun to test out, but this one will be like my HD/L F150 with twice the power ( or half the weight, however you look at it more fun)

We'll keep y'all posted. in the meantime, have a great Holiday and merry Christmas!

KT.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Any updates???

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Hey Kevin, about your question on 281ranger's fuel tank. Like he said thats a factory rear auxiliary tank. I installed one in my truck also (I have a '92 Ranger). Unfortunately they DO NOT make these tanks new, nor do they make the sending units new. You have to find original parts, which can be very tricky. I was lucky enough to find one from a member on here by posting a wanted ad in the "wanted to buy" forum, it came out of his daily driver, he didn't use it so he just took it out and sold it to me, I had to get the crossmember seperately (also very hard to find). Another problem is I'll have to modify the sending unit, it has the wrong ohms and doesn't work properly with the newer gauges.

All in all, get a fuel cell, LOL. OR, you can use a Bronco II tank, its 22 gallons compared to the aux tank's 13 gallons. You can get them and the sending units new. You just need to install the crossmembers from a Bronco II. You have to cut the inside of the bed to fit it, but I have a feeling you'll be doing that anyway.

The IRS should be cool. My friend is putting a Mark VIII IRS in his '98 Ranger. Its bagged and it already has a stock floor body drop, he built a new frame out of 2x3 from the firewall back, now hes just adding the IRS. He had to narrow it 6 inches overall, which he did by fabricating new control arms.
Heres a picture..sorry for the quality its the best I have lol.

Last edited:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
that will be retarded fast. makes you wonder why ford didn't do the 5.8SC in the ranger haha

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well man i hope you will stick around after you guy finish this build. i cant wait to see it air. you guy should of done a 4wd truck tho lol

cant wait to see it

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Zman I've got a catalog for LMC truck and they have new gas tanks. I found one for my BII the other day. My tank thats on mine has had 7 year old gas in it and its rusted the bottom of the tank horribly.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
holy crap its kevin!!!!! ive always wanted to talk to you!

this project is awesome. good luck on it.

do you plan to build any 73-79 fords anytime soon? haha
Jeff

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
We thought we were gonna have a solid donor MK VIII Rollover victim but they found out we were "TV" and the price went out of control.
Don't you hate it when they do that!? If my ranger (before the complete restoration) was up for grabs for a TV conversion, I would've been stoked that it was going to be on TV!

Why jack up the price when you could watch a couple of very talented and knowledgable hosts completly tear down and build up your former baby?

A price jack is the equivalent to a slap in the face! :annoyed:

To the owner(s) of the MK VIII, shame on you!:nono: :D

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Zman I've got a catalog for LMC truck and they have new gas tanks. I found one for my BII the other day. My tank thats on mine has had 7 year old gas in it and its rusted the bottom of the tank horribly.
Ya you can buy B2 tanks new, and you can get FRONT tanks for Rangers new. I just looked, and LMC doesn't carry a REAR Ranger tank.

holy crap its kevin!!!!! ive always wanted to talk to you!

this project is awesome. good luck on it.

do you plan to build any 73-79 fords anytime soon? haha
Jeff
They're building one right now! Crew-cab dually, going on a Dodge chassis with a Cummins.

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya you can buy B2 tanks new, and you can get FRONT tanks for Rangers new. I just looked, and LMC doesn't carry a REAR Ranger tank.
Ah didnt know that. Couldnt you still make the b2 rear tank work for a ranger. Not really familiar with this. Seems like theres the same space for the rear tank on either the B2 or the ranger.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
They're building one right now! Crew-cab dually, going on a Dodge chassis with a Cummins.
Oh yea i remember that now, i didnt see much of it though.

4.6stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A 4.6 in a ranger great fit. I love my mustang 4.6 and t-45 makes the truck so much fun to drive. I have put over 11,000 miles on mine just last year. Now im just putting together the parts for 10 lbs of boost cant wait until I can play with my 450hp ranger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals