• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Good things do happen in this great country

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What an awesome feel-good story!

Iraq veteran Sgt. Scott Wallace needed a ride ... so Manhattan executive flew him for free

BY James Fanelli
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Saturday, October 16th 2010, 4:00 AM

Wounded Iraq veteran Sgt. Scott Wallace couldn't scrounge up enough cash to cover an airplane ticket from his base in North Carolina to his best friend's wedding in Pennsylvania last weekend.
But a good Samaritan Manhattan executive who moonlights as a pilot flew the young soldier for free.

Gary Illiano, 53, flew his single-engine propeller plane on Oct. 8 from Westchester County Airport to Fayetteville, N.C., to pick up Wallace.

The pair traveled to Allentown, Pa., where Wallace, 23, was the best man at the wedding last Saturday.

"Normally, I'd drive home, but my truck is on its last legs," said Wallace, 23. "I looked at flights and there was no way I could afford that - not on a government check."

Wallace spent 11 months in Iraq. He was wounded on a patrol in 2007, when a sniper's bullet ripped through his body, shattering his shoulder blade, breaking two ribs and damaging his lungs.
He earned a purple heart and another medal for carrying a wounded comrade out of combat while injured himself.

Illiano and Wallace were connected through the nonprofit group Veterans Airlift Command, which matches volunteer pilots with wounded soldiers in need of a lift.

Since its start in 2006, the Minnesota-based group has given 2,736 free flights to wounded veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and their families. It has about 1,500 pilots - 50 from New York State, including 20 from the city.

A partner at accounting firm Grant Thornton LLP, Illiano signed up for the group earlier this year. "It sounded like a good mission," said Illiano, who got his pilot license 11 days after 9/11.

Wallace, who enlisted with the Army's 82nd Airborne Infantry Division when he was 17, was Illiano's first passenger through the program.

"I saw my childhood best friend marry the woman he loves," said a grateful Wallace. I was really glad I was there. If I had missed it, I would have regretted it."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/10/16/2010-10-16_vets_plane_ride_an_uplifting_tale.html#ixzz12Ze Smp1j

Dave Of the Nord

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Great story Dave...........we need them.

xnickitynickx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Oldsmobile
Engine Size
3.1L V6
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_cheers: That's the kinda stuff I like to hear. I'm so glad to see so many people willing to help. Besides TRSers :icon_thumby:

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Wow. That's a prime example of helping an armed forces person in their time of need! I hope to help one out myself someday....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals