• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cant decide on a rig

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So ive been lookin around town for a rig to lift and wheell. Not to be used as a dd.

This is a rbv forum and i can get the explorer i want for a grand.

I found a 1979 jeep wagoneer with a 360. Dana 44. Not lifted. Leaks some oil. 700$. Interested in this because ive read you can do a leaf over axle and run 35s plus its got the 44 and they look cool lifted.

A friend is willing to sell me his dodge ram charger for $500. I believe its a 1985 wuth a 318 yet again its got dana 44. Id really like to run 37s after the winter without doing sn sas on anything

Im leaning towards an explorer bcuz carbs suck and the few extra hundred bucks is the price of a new carb. And this site has tons of info if i ever ran into problems. More than anything im asking what would you do.

Supposedly the engine and trsnny were rebuilt 60k ago on the jeep

Last edited:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Wagoneers have plenty of potential offroad. Plus lifted FSJ's are f-in sweet looking in general. I think you'd have fun in either one of your choices (FSJ or Explorer)

What year is the explorer? There's major potential in the 92-94 expo's with TTB front end. Plus they're easier to SAS over the IFS front explorers. Swap in a disc brake 8.8 out of a newer 96+ explorer if you did find one of the older TTB explorer

I wouldnt do the fullsize at all. I've been there, done that. You have to build them overkill to build them right due to them being a lot heavier.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only explorer I'm willing to buy is a 4.0 4 door 4x4 ttb 5 speed. Did the ifs thing in aa yota it sucked. There's one at the carlot for 1200 with 170k and a manual tcase.

As far az I'm concerned I can get enough flex from the ttb for our trails. Just not to up to date on the other rrigs I mentioned. I went and looked at the jeep its got that quadrTec crap

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
yea you dont want that. If anything, slap in a Dana 300 and twin stick it.

But personally, I'd grab up that Explorer. Sounds like a solid rig to start with. Check out my build thread if you want some ideas on what can be done with the TTB.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Only real reason I considerd thr older rigs is cuz family owns a junkyard. If I pull it its free. And there's lotsof old farm trucks. Just didn't want thehassle of an sas... low pinion high pinion. 78-79. Lft side diff right side diff. Gotta be so meticulous. See more chevys than anything. Have yet to see a 78-79 f150

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The only trouble with the old Wags is that the cones in the Quadratrac are unobtainium. The later Grand wags with NP 229s or 208s are better, mostly because you can get parts for them. Constant work to keep driveable. I gave up after 20 yrs of trying. My last one ran great, but was losing 2 foot chunks of frame from rust. Did you look at the Ramcharger?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The ram charger. Runs great. Just had a new ujoint installed thing that worries me is the guy fixes everything half way. Id rather not have someone elses headache

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals