• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351w swap 1988 ranger

Bruce2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The shaft part that connects the universal joints is 3/4 inch cold rolled solid steel, we machined the one end to go into the stock steering shaft. The aluminum bracket in the middle has a roller bearing in it, in which we machined the custom support bracket for the bearing to fit and height, we still had to ding the header tube just a little bit...Those headers are the tri Y's which are stainless steel that I got off of ebay for 95 bucks...universal joints where bought from speedway motors, the double joint was 126 bucks.

The starter fit right in with no issues..the right side header flange is up against the pan rail on the AOD but a friend has a muffler shop and he said no problem fixing that....Going to use the electric fuel pump in the tank since it's a low pressure pump hooked to a fuel pressure regulator with bypass. I hit the junk yards and found a 1988 Ford Ranger with out air conditioning and got the air box for the heater part and had to modify air box some what..

Next up is the wiring up the motor so stock gauges and everything works...

Last edited:

Bruce2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
A little update on progress.. motor all in all wiring done, waiting on carb..found a heater box for a non ac ranger and got it modified to clear the valve covers and dipstick, fuel lines are all plumbed in and using the fuel pump in the tank which i replaced with a new sending unit and pump, pump spec's are 4 ponds minimum pressure and 9 pounds max pressure so we are installing a regulator with return, fuel pump is wired thru the inertia switch in the cab. Here's a couple of pics..

Attachments

benhojnowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W
Transmission
Automatic
Get a set of weld up headers from Speedway Motors. Make your own headers that exit outside the frame. They will be better in the long run and much better. The kit is $115 right now on sale. I can post pics of the ones I made if needed. Passenger side was easy. Drivers side I had to make the rear 2 pipes go under steering shaft. The fwd pipes go above the steering shaft. Then I cut the fwd 2 pipes and welded in a couple cheap collectors from autozone. That way I can remove the header without disassembling the steering linkage. link below
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Block-Ford-289-351W-Header-Kit-1-5-8-Tube-3-Inch-Collector,3842.html

Bruce2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have this fitting pretty good and installed, just have to make a few minor bends where the collector flange is hitting the pan rail on the AOD....Thanks for the link..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals