• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official 4R44E Problem Thread!

Il Brutto

02/2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it ain't broke...fix it before it does.
I have seen a great deal of issues with the 4R44E transmission offered in a number of Rangers. I am on my second transmission in my truck and am in the process of working out a slight 2-3 flare. No solution as of yet but I am working on research. While conducting this research, I thought it would be a great idea to have all of the resources in one place so I decided to start this thread.

!!Please post any problems you have encountered with your 4R44E and solutions to such problems!!

Thanks

Il Brutto

02/2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
A couple weeks back I posted a problem I was having with a 2-3 flare in my 4R44E. After some research I discovered an apparent fix in the form of a shift kit. Several different kinds are offered by a variety of manufacturers. I chose to use the superior kit, others are offered by Ford and Transgo. I have found this useful and it has fixed my 2-3 flare problem. The kit was user friendly and easily installed. Hopefully this information is helpful to others.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think this kind of thread is always a good idea. I know absolutely nothing about these transmissions. Perhaps you could provide some basic info about these transmissions, such as what years they were in production, what vehicles they came in, common problems and fixes.
Thanks,

Richard

Il Brutto

02/2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Here is something to help you Identify your 4R44E transmission copied from the tech library on this site. Hope this is helpful

4R44E/4R55E - Automatic Transmission:

The 4R44E and 4R55E were used in the 1995 - 1997 Ford Rangers. The 4R44E were used in the 2.3L and 3.0L Rangers and the 4R55E was used in the 4.0L Ranger. This was a computer controlled rear wheel drive transmission.

The 4R44E was an updated version of the A4LD with full electronic control, introducing duty-controlled TCC lockup.

Known Problems:

Common Fix For 4R55E / 5R55E Transmissions With A Bad Separator Plate And Valve Body Gasket can be found HERE.

Band Adjustment:

O/D = 1½ turns

Intermediate = 1½ turns

Reverse = Not Adjustable

Gear Ratios:

1st = 2.47:1

2nd = 1.47:1

3rd = 1.00:1

4th = 0.75:1

Reverse = 2.1:1

Here is a link to the tech library where more information is available.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/AutoTrans.html

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
air test plate = T95L-77000-AH
air test plate gasket = T95L-7000-AH1

tecboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4 Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Honesty is the best policy!
99 ranger hard shifting between 1st & Second

Noticing my 99 ranger 4 cyl shifting hard into second only when od light is on. If I restart the truck the od light goes off and all shifts well again.

Any ideas?

Thanks in avance

tec

96ranger702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Glad I found this thread . I have a P0741 code and am aware of Ford's TBS 97-22-4 .
Fly wheel had broke . I replaced it and after a day of no problems , my OD light would start flashing after being driven over 20 miles or so and would then shift hard in first and second gear .

Then i did a filter change and fluid seemed pretty clean . magnet was covered in a fine powdered dust .Some have told me it's normal some say definitely internal problems .

I WAS going to change the TCC solenoid and valve body gasket on the trans. But am being advised by people on Reddit don't waste my money , just have it rebuilt . which it was a few years ago before I owned and the shop is offering no deal of any sort with new owner . Here is my post on Reddit when this was my game plan if u want more info and to read comments :

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/4qn1so/96_ranger_tcc_solenoid_and_valve_body_first_time/

Now for my question ! I'm thinking of just ordering a Remanfractured online and putting in myself . I see them online for 900-1500 bucks but have know idea about these sites . currently researching . Does anyone have any recommended sites ? Or any input on this option ?

Second option is pull trans out , take it to a shop for a rebuild . I can't afford to just drop truck off and pay 2-3 grand so would have to give them a bench job .

Here's my post on Reddit asking about this :

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/4qrimf/things_to_look_out_for_when_purchasing_a_used

I need help ! Which option ? Any advice thank you guys so much .

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
got my "new" 97 going, but has a trans issue, no 1st gear but makes noise when in drive or first. can put in 2nd and it will move, shift to drive above 30 and will act like a normal automatic (2-4 gears all work) until you slow down and trans wants to be in 1st again. going to try a band adjustment but im sure something is broke. wish it was o/d that was out, a 3.0 starting in 2nd is pretty sluggish. anyone ever heard of a issue like this? i was under the assumption that if 1st was out then reverse would be too, but i have reverse. just no 1st.

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Sounds like a failed OD sprag.

fast240z

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 4r44e trans and 170k miles on it. Truck is straight and runs well. The trans slips a bit when taking off from a light, but only right after I start the truck and drive it. Once it warms up, the trans doesn't slip. It does shift a little sluggish but doesn't slip in any other gears.

Google shows this issue could be caused by old fluid and a clogged trans filter. The truck is due for an oil change soon, and I was planning to change the trans filter while I was at it.

Does this sound right? Would old fluid and filter cause this issue?

Edit- I swapped the auto for a manual and life is better now.

Last edited:

Jeffpa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

v8power4life

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Transmission swap problem from 96 to 97

I have a 96 2.3 2WD with the 4R44E transmission, bought it with a broken trail shaft on the transmission. I swapped it for a 97 transmission and found a few things different.

1. The back side of the transmission (tail shaft) where the output shaft speed sensor fits into the transmission is not drilled out, for that sensor. (the one that your speedo uses)

2. I found when i pulled the tail shaft housing off that the output shaft of the transmission wasn't even cut for the plastic gear of the output shaft speed sensor.

3.The transmission range sensor plug and play connector is different, in the wiring harness.

So, long story short. The truck will not run well, when shifted into gear. The motor starts missing and runs rich, when in gear, after about 20 seconds. The output shaft speed sensor isn't physically working but is plugged in. Im not sure if that is causing the transmission/engine/ecu to act up.

I am thinking its either a bad torque converter or something not right with the transmission. Do you guys have any ideas?

Last edited:

Owenc97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I just put a 1998 4r44e in a 1995 truck. I didn’t swap the tail shafts. Truck sometimes runs rough and dies. Also won’t shift into overdrive. I’ve been unable to find a fix. I’m looking for a pin diagram hoping I can trick it with just supplying power to a pin when needed I’m not sure.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So 4R44E and 4R55E are very similar and share the same problems/solutions?
I know they share the same ATSG tech manual, but with numerous side diagrams for variations

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I just put a 1998 4r44e in a 1995 truck. I didn’t swap the tail shafts. Truck sometimes runs rough and dies. Also won’t shift into overdrive. I’ve been unable to find a fix. I’m looking for a pin diagram hoping I can trick it with just supplying power to a pin when needed I’m not sure.
Do you have any codes? Are you sure the transmission you put in it is any good? Are you sure you installed a 4R and not a 5R55?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals