• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD to M5R1 swap - 4x4-specific computer?

94firstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Al,

I have a 1994 Ranger XLT 4.0L 4x4 with an A4LD and electric shift 4x4. I want to swap to an M5R1 when the A4LD dies and am gathering parts. I have 2 questions about swapping the computer:

1) Are there 4x4-specific computers, or does the computer just need to come from a '94 4.0L Ranger w/ a manual (meaning 2WD or 4x4 is irrelevant)?

2) Does the computer care what transfer case I have? Will likely go to a manual BW-1354 when the transmission gets swapped. Will my "4x4" light still work?

3) What is EEC-IV wiring? I am looking at a computer from a '94 4.0L manual and it says it "Should be compatible with pre '95 4.0L Rangers with eec-iv wiring."

Thank you!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1) No, there's just auto and manual

2) No, your electric shift t-case has it's own "computer." If you go to a manual shift t-case, the wiring is different. You'd have to splice in the appropriate plug for the manual t-case's shift position indicator light.

3) 96 and newer is OBD-II. 95 and older is EEC-IV. It is essentially just the software that your engine uses to control the fuel injection, among other things.

Your automatic computer can be used with a manual trans, although your check engine light will be on and it'll throw codes for 3-4 shift solenoid and torque converter lockup solenoid because they're no longer present. This is how my 4.0/manual trans swapped truck is configured - the wires for those two solenoids just dead end and the auto neutral/park switch was wired into the neutral switch on the manual trans so that the truck can start. Clutch switch is not present since I'm using an auto trans dash harness.

I do not know if those two codes being present has any effect on how the ECM controls the fuel injection or anything but in my case it runs and drives fine. I just removed the CEL bulb from the dash.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Engine computer was never part of 4WD system in any year Ranger

1994 was last year for the older 60-wire computers, 1995 was first year of newer 104 wire computers

Yes, the computer of any year either had automatic transmission software or didn't, if it has this software it will "check for shift solenoids" on start up and turn on the CEL(check engine light) if they are not hooked up, or not working when driving.

You could still drive it, but with CEL on full time

So switching to manual trans computer would be best for your conversion

The M5R1 transmissions are engine specific, and 2WD or 4WD specific, so you need a 4.0l M5R1 from a 4WD, 2.3l or 3.0l M5R1 won't fit on 4.0l engine, 2WD can't bolt to any transfer case

The manual transfer case MUST come with shifter and linkage, you can't find these any more.
Manual transfer case has a 2 wire hookup switch, this is for the 4high and 4low lights on the dash.
The two dash lights get 12v with key on, the switch GROUNDS each bulb to turn it on depending on transfer case position.
Dash light ground wires run to 4x4 control module now so not hard to find or ID as to which is which

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
To add to what Ron said, check your new 1354 transfer case over really well before buying it if you end up swapping to a manual one. I am finding a bunch of them lately have bad rear output bearings. I don't know exactly what the cause of this is besides normal wear and tear, but I have never seen it on a 1350 of any flavor, nor an electric shift 1354 - seems more or less isolated to manual shift 1354's. And yes, definitely get the shifter AND the shifter boot with it! The only thing harder to find than a 1354M is a shifter, and a good boot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals