Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Steering

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
mtnrgr

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Everything
My credo: My Rottweilers are my guardians
mtnrgr is on a distinguished road
Default Alignment ???'s

all done

Last edited by mtnrgr; 06-04-2018 at 08:29 PM.
mtnrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 11-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
55trucker

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: My Ride (or should I say...the Wife's Ride)
55trucker is on a distinguished road

The *old school* method of an alignment rack would be something like the old Hunter *Lite A Line* rack which is a 2 wheel rack that only does the fronts.

The head unit is in a pit, the trammels are ground level, the vehicle drives onto them, the two wheel sensors are mounted to the wheels, and the lite sensors shine in the form of a crosshair the lite onto the 2 scopes in front of the vehicle.

These old alignment racks can still be accurate, but given the technology today & how accurate these *wireless* units are...

why go elsewhere?

I just had my truck done recently, it's not twin-I-beam, yours is just a matter of setting the toe, unless your front springs/ride height are creating a camber issue for you and you need to replace/install new cam bushings.

Last edited by 55trucker; 11-29-2017 at 07:46 PM.
55trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:21 AM   #3
55trucker

The alignment was done on a recent Hoffmann Geoliner 650 XD.

Even tho the truck is an RWD all four sensors were mounted, the unit literally takes all the guesswork out of the job.

Seeing as the camber/caster were in spec the young techie who did the job just had to set the toe & the truck was off the rack in 20 mins.

Where you go to get the job done is entirely your choice, I still have connections in the industry & have always leaned to the *little guy* for work I don't have the equipment to handle.

Doing a wheel alignment isn't rocket science, but a shop that has up to date equipment makes the task easier & go quicker.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
RonD

Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Just as a heads up on front alignment

Shop should unlock steering wheel and then tie it off so it is centered, then do alignment

Many just center the wheel to closest steering lock hole and lock it off that way, lazy man way
And this method will mean "straight down the road" will have steering wheel just off to one side.
Some don't care, some do, up to you

It doesn't effect alignment, strictly a visual difference
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
55trucker

worthwhile mention...

for those who are familiar with the process that's one of things that you automatically include in the job,

but for the average customer who sitting in the waiting area has little knowledge of the actual process and has no visual on what's going on with their vehicle he/she doesn't discover that until the vehicle is handed back to them, and it's a case of *my steering wheel is off*.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:21 AM   #6
racsan

Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger longbed
I use this vehicle for: Daily driver/light work
racsan has a spectacular aura aboutracsan has a spectacular aura aboutracsan has a spectacular aura about

not that ive done many, but i go really old school with alignment. make sure hub bearings arent loose, tape measure on front and back of rotor, have front measurement 1/16th closer than rear measurement. magnetic starret angle guage on rotor to check camber. did my 93 this way after alignment (and frame) got tweaked by a ditch, tire wear and driveability were normal after my alignment.