Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Events - Recreation - Survival > Overlanding & Camping Gear

Notices

Overlanding & Camping Gear Including truck campers, camper shells (toppers), campers, & tents.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
TimH1956

Vehicle Year: 2011
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Work & play
My credo: Be conscientious of your words and actions
TimH1956 is on a distinguished road
Default 2 Person A-frame Tent for Ranger pickup

I found a nice tent for the bed of my 2011 Ranger, its the Magellan Outdoors Journey 2 Person A-frame Tent. I bought it from Academy Sports for $39.99.
It fits nicely in the bed with the tail gate down, is 84" long and 54" wide. Its a little wider then the wheel wells but it doesn't bunch up too much. It actually fills the truck bed.
I've used it now a couple times with the REI Co-op Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad XL (the XL is 78" long), I'm 5/6 so problem with my feet hanging off the edge.
Attached Images

TimH1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 03-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #12
Will
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Make: Toyota
Vehicle Model: FJ Cruiser
I use this vehicle for: When I can't ride a motorcycle.
Will has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud of

http://www.boatdesigns.com/Camper-Plans/products/697/

Has to have a wood stove. I bought one of these: https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/

'07 FJ Cruiser

'09 Mazdaspeed

'14 Ninja 1000
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #13
racsan

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger longbed
I use this vehicle for: Daily driver/light work
racsan has a spectacular aura aboutracsan has a spectacular aura aboutracsan has a spectacular aura about

you can sometimes find a free cap, ive found 2 for the longbed. first one was a aluminum one, 3 weeks after i got it (some 40 miles from home) a fiberglass cap was in someones front yard not far from me, sign beside it said free, so down the road it went with me. saw he had a shortbed ranger in the driveway, so either he got the wrong cap for it or had recently traded trucks and had had a longbed before. the fiberglass cap does look alot better but about impossible to install yourself, the aluminum one can be handled by yourself, but still is a bit much to handle without help. if you need it off occasionally for hauling, the lighter one would be the one id use. mine normally is on all the time.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #14
LIMA BEAN

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger SXY
I use this vehicle for: Doing dirty deed's dirt cheap.
LIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerx2 View Post
Hi y'all I'm looking for ideas and any tips from the rest of you that have your trucks set up for camping. I've got an 8' F-150 so space is definitely not an issue. I just want to do some occasional camping and trying to decide if I should buy a cap/camper shell, or a truck tent. I'm on a limited budget of a few hundred so it would definitely need to be a used cap. At that price range, most of what I'm seeing are aluminum. I know from browsing other threads there are people who use the tents, and love them. Then there are those that swear by the caps. So besides the obvious set-up and tear-down every day of the tent; what are the pros and cons of the tents? Likewise the aluminum caps; what are the pros and cons of those? By the way, I still need the truck for some occasional hauling needs as well.
As far as sleeping, I have a cot and sleeping bag; so that's figured out, tentatively.
Thanks everyone!
Check the murder rates and frequency of serial killers within your camping range and go from there.

"You have come to take our evil black guns? heh heh be right with ya there mister."
LIMA BEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #15
Larnach

Vehicle Year: 2010
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Pulling stumps to getting groceries
My credo: ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Larnach is on a distinguished road

So I just spent the 12-28th of May heading up into Death Valley, Eastern Sierras, Bridgeport to SF, up to Corvallis (just south of Portland) and then back down the coast all the way to San Diego. I built a cheap (less than $100 platform) https://modestboot.com/post/17451941...-for-under-100 and just stashed all my gear underneath it.

I slept at a few truck stops, some rest stops, on the side of the road, on the beach, in a KOA, etc. Super cozy with just a 3" Lucid mattress, and I've got a bad back and knees to boot. I won't lie, it was pretty cramped when getting out of the Softopper, but if you get a regular camper shell, or even one that's kicked up about 3" or so, you'll be fine. I'm 6' 2" and 200lbs and it was pretty damn comfortable.

In my opinion, a cap or topper is much more "stealth" and in my opinion the closest you'll get to the security of a van. I'm considering getting a 36" aluminum top, gutting my rear cab window and making it a portal so I can easily move between the bed and the cab.

Do the topper and carry a backup tent if need be, you'll love it!

Larnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #16
Larnach

Vehicle Year: 2010
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Pulling stumps to getting groceries
My credo: ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Larnach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA BEAN View Post
Check the murder rates and frequency of serial killers within your camping range and go from there.
Hahaha!!!
Larnach is offline   Reply With Quote