Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Ranger Axles

Notices

Ranger Axles Dana 28, Dana 35, Ford 7.5 & Ford 8.8

Old 01-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute

For the record that wasn't turning, that was trying to accelerate up to speed after turning onto the highway. The crown of the road was messing me up.

Check out my Build Thread

Check out my NAIAS Ranger Trip

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison.
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 01-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
RangerSlamz

RangerSlamz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info everyone. I have some time to think about it before I buy. I think what I'm going to do for now is keep my eye out for an explorer or Fx4 rear axle and then go from there.
RangerSlamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #13
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw33gp View Post
The feel on the street with a locker 'on' is pretty straight forward. The vehicle will want to go straight when you are trying to turn. You can make it turn but the vehicle will resist your efforts. This can be overcome by spinning the tires but then the back end will try to pass you. Using a locker or limited slip in snow, ice, rain, etc. on smooth surfaces takes a little skill or experience to do it safely. This is especially true with 2WD vehicles.
truth there. and a spool in the snow can be more predictable on some trucks.....so no simple answer.

I am not a fan of limited slips for certain applications...or most for that matter.. simply too varied for predictability when you need it most...I have had lockrights/detroits, arbs and limited slips of various types along with welded/spools/minispools across a range of rbv and other trucks and cars..

if the axle comes with a l/s I will deal with it until I can afford to do otherwise...generally I will mod the brakes for bias to get by....I wore out the last doner l/s axle without going back to a locker. but I also tend to have massive high traction tires. I have went back and forth with a drop in for the front depending on season.

I currently have a detroit in the shop truck, and it eats tires just the same as it did with the previous true trac. but I know I have reliable traction now.... they broke the rear end(fawkin 14 bolt at that) trying to get unstuck with the tt. it had over a 100 k miles when that happened though. probably never had the diff oil changed.

since you will have a winch, I can see the tru trac.. they are a quality piece...and unfortunately will dramatically increase tire wear along with traction..and take some getting used to in most applications with icy slushy conditions.

with a 2wd...a selectable locker is always my first suggestion if traction is being considered. especially with aggressive expensive tires that will see more road then camping trails.

you will not inadvertently forget your elec-trac or arb is locked. you will know its engaged on high traction surfaces. but they are harder on the axleshafts if you do choose to leave it spooled on the pavement. any weak shackles or rotten spring mounts or weak areas on the frame will make themselves known if you push it.

the fresh axle in my truck is still open. its only a 30 spline 60 so a aussie can be ok for general use under 38 inch with sensible driving. with my current hp level it don't make sense to get an arb. but you have a 2wd.

if I was in a position where I thought I could have a 2wd, I would spend the money on an arb or elec-trac or whatever ....and even if I never used it I would be happy with the investment. probably because I cant see a point where I would not use it in a 2wd...

with all of that babble.....start with the winch....may never need the locker.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #14
RangerSlamz

RangerSlamz is on a distinguished road

That makes a lot of sense. I think I will eventually go the selectable locker route. Even though I may not need it, that's better for me than being committed to always having a limited slip. I'd love to personally compare the two one of these days.
RangerSlamz is offline   Reply With Quote