• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Ecoboost swapped Ranger build thread

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also, you didn't say why you deleted the power steering.
Truck would have hydraulic power steering with a belt driven pump, most newer vehicles have electric power steering, Ford doesn't use a pump.

If you want it, BlackBII added the electric power steering column from something else to his older Ranger so he has fully electric power steering.

Could go like Dodge and have an electric motor running the power steering pump too.

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
Will you post a photo of the completed engine sitting in the Ranger so we can see what it looks like?

Also, you didn't say why you deleted the power steering.
There's a vid on youtube of it sitting in the truck and idling. Just look at the vid I posted and go to my channel from there. And the power steering was deleted because I didn't have a good spot to mount the pulley anywhere. Just one less thing to go wrong.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I figured it had something to do with the electric steering. Just didn't know why you didn't mount the steering pump on the new motor. I wanted the information, and a shot under the hood of the completed swap, because I want to add this to the Tech Library.

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
I figured it had something to do with the electric steering. Just didn't know why you didn't mount the steering pump on the new motor. I wanted the information, and a shot under the hood of the completed swap, because I want to add this to the Tech Library.
Here you go. Sorry the images are so huge, you have my permission to downsize them and reupload them if you want to. At the moment there is no main motor wiring harness on since I had to get a new one. The one I have had a recall and it most likely my issue. I will repost new pics when the new harness shows up next week if you'd like.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Thanks, I appreciate it. I saw that there's a problem with the wiring harness. Please let us know the correct harness P/N when you can. Thanks.

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I appreciate it. I saw that there's a problem with the wiring harness. Please let us know the correct harness P/N when you can. Thanks.
Assuming the harness is the culprit(which im like 95% sure it is) I will post the new part number for it. Ford had a huge recall between the 2.0 escape and focus st that was for the specific harness I got sadly. Upon further inspection of the harness today, I found 2 wire splices that had dealership work done on them surprisingly. But still, something else isn't right I just cant figure out what. But now that I have a spare harness I might actually find a new little project for it. Maybe a mod for my 2.3 duratec that was pulled from my ranger to make a microdquirt eft box work on it with that harness, and use all ford sensors. Kind of a frankenstein ecoboost/duratec build. That also bring up the question, will a 2.0/2.3 ecoboost head fit onto a duratec block?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
thats one of the things that i was getting to.

i know the timing covers/oiling systems supposedly have some sort of difference internally...

my intentions were to do the balance shaft delete kit....run the ranger oil pan and the ranger timing cover to use ranger front engine accessory drives...

i did not get to tear the engines down to far at thejunkyard for the timing cover fit up but the ford dealer said they were not compatible...but they also said the ranger pan would not work on the focus engine......which i did do a test fit up in the junkyard so i know that is 100 percent bullshit.

and so goes the plan initially...if i could not get the stock ecoboost efi system to work...or if at some point my injectors or hpfp shit out...i could just swap a ranger head on....and boost the fawk out of it with a programmed conventional ranger system...because you know the bottom end is good for it.

once i get started on it its one of the first things i plan to ferret out for sure.

and it is the biggest issue with these things ....there is so little information that bullshit is easy to pass off.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i did not get to tear the engines down to far at thejunkyard for the timing cover fit up but the ford dealer said they were not compatible...but they also said the ranger pan would not work on the focus engine......which i did do a test fit up in the junkyard so i know that is 100 percent bullshit.
To a dealer compatible is probably interchangeable with the same part number. Our trucks are a dealer's worst nightmare...

They probably looked up a ranger pan and a focus pan and saw they were different part numbers. Nope, ain't gonna work. Whats different? The part numbers, what more do you need to know?

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
thats one of the things that i was getting to.

i know the timing covers/oiling systems supposedly have some sort of difference internally...

my intentions were to do the balance shaft delete kit....run the ranger oil pan and the ranger timing cover to use ranger front engine accessory drives...

and so goes the plan initially...if i could not get the stock ecoboost efi system to work...or if at some point my injectors or hpfp shit out...i could just swap a ranger head on....and boost the fawk out of it with a programmed conventional ranger system...because you know the bottom end is good for it.

once i get started on it its one of the first things i plan to ferret out for sure.

and it is the biggest issue with these things ....there is so little information that bullshit is easy to pass off.
Now that you mention it, I bet the timing cover is different. I'm not sure to what extent, but they are. And your question about the oil pan, read my post thoroughly, the engine orientation kit includes the 2.3 mustangs oil pan and intake manifold. It's not even that pricey, And it also has the balance shaft thing the 2.3 would have along with all the included hardware. A the steal of a price they sell that for I feel like using the rangers oil pan would be a bit dumb at that point.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i assume you bought all of the timing tools?

i am not afraid of the friction fit balancer with electric steering or manual steering..

but with a big 4x4 running 35-38inch tires and a powersteering pump and ac/heavy duty alternator.... along with some sort of on board air contraption.... i am thinking a keyway setup is ideal.

black bettys electric steering conversion is pretty sweet though. probably an ideal conversion to run this platform.

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
i assume you bought all of the timing tools?

i am not afraid of the friction fit balancer with electric steering or manual steering..

but with a big 4x4 running 35-38inch tires and a powersteering pump and ac/heavy duty alternator.... along with some sort of on board air contraption.... i am thinking a keyway setup is ideal.

black bettys electric steering conversion is pretty sweet though. probably an ideal conversion to run this platform.
Nope. The 2.0 EB in my truck has never been torn down. Had around 10k miles on and I dont see a need to tear it down.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Now that you mention it, I bet the timing cover is different. I'm not sure to what extent, but they are. And your question about the oil pan, read my post thoroughly, the engine orientation kit includes the 2.3 mustangs oil pan and intake manifold. It's not even that pricey, And it also has the balance shaft thing the 2.3 would have along with all the included hardware. A the steal of a price they sell that for I feel like using the rangers oil pan would be a bit dumb at that point.
can you give us a few more details about that orientation kit?

I'm screwing with a 2.5 Fusion motor for my '05 Ranger.

at the least, a Ranger timing cover has a pulley mount for the fan, FWD engines don't.

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
can you give us a few more details about that orientation kit?

I'm screwing with a 2.5 Fusion motor for my '05 Ranger.

at the least, a Ranger timing cover has a pulley mount for the fan, FWD engines don't.
Not much to it. Comes with the 2.3 EB mustang oil pan, balance shaft assembly, and the intake manifold. Thats about it. Keep in mind, the 2.0 was only ever in a fwd/awd configuration. When you mount a 2.0 EB in a ranger, its north/south rwd, just like the mustang. It also includes the little coolant neck along with the crank case breather that routes right back into the intake manifold.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Nope. The 2.0 EB in my truck has never been torn down. Had around 10k miles on and I dont see a need to tear it down.
hmmm. well then. good luck with that... better prepared then not.

keep the valves clean.

at 50 k mine started to run like shit, which "shit" is relative to this awesome engine from mile one.....but its still a 4 whizzer... and was a typical vibratin pos 4 cyl from 23k on...balance shaft and all. for what it offered in usable tq and mpg it is a small price to pay.

it had several flashes and got weaker with every flash which was disappointing. at the end it was acceptable, but noticeably weaker...but the dealer has its own concerns and keeping the car alive as long as possible...

with custom tuning though, especially with no regard to warranty..... that wont be an issue for the swap scene hunting big power... as long as there is proper top end maintenance.

there is quite a bit to keeping the lil guys running well, depending on actual drive cycle.

02 EB swapped ranger

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.0L ecoboost
Transmission
Manual
hmmm. well then. good luck with that... better prepared then not.

keep the valves clean.

at 50 k mine started to run like shit, which "shit" is relative to this awesome engine from mile one.....but its still a 4 whizzer... and was a typical vibratin pos 4 cyl from 23k on...balance shaft and all. for what it offered in usable tq and mpg it is a small price to pay.

it had several flashes and got weaker with every flash which was disappointing. at the end it was acceptable, but noticeably weaker...but the dealer has its own concerns and keeping the car alive as long as possible...

with custom tuning though, especially with no regard to warranty..... that wont be an issue for the swap scene hunting big power... as long as there is proper top end maintenance.

there is quite a bit to keeping the lil guys running well, depending on actual drive cycle.
A can of crc intake valve cleaner every 10k miles should keep those valves nice and clean.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals