• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 ford ranger non stock radio

Leonm1645

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
So I got this 1990 ford ranger 2.3l 5speed from my grandpa he passed down to me when he passed. And I fell in love with it and all rangers, and it has a radio that is not stock and does not work and looking to replace it what is a good radio to replace it with and any idea how to remove it. it not like the radio in my dads 95 Dodge cummins does not have the holes to remove it with on the sides do I need to take the trim off or what will provide a picture.

Leonm1645

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You will have to take off the trim bezel that covers the radio and Heater controls. Then it should come out pretty easy.

You can buy retro style modern radios that will fit like the OEM style. Or you can do some custom cutting and convert it to modern single DIN radio installation. I haven't done that conversion. So I can't give you details on it.

I like Crutchfield for finding automotive radio stuff. Decent prices and they usually ship extra installation stuff with the radio. You may at least find what you want there and double check price for that model elsewhere before buying.

I just did a quick Google search and found several options including one that you can order from Summit Racing. (retro sound brand)

Last edited:

Leonm1645

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Ok, Thanks are there any videos on youtube on how to take the trim off. I know most of it is clipped on but im sure there are some screws some were. are any websites with info on it would be helpful.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like your dash comes apart like my '93. I haven't done it in a while and this is from memory (I'm stuck at work and can't go look at the truck right now.

Basically, there is a black bezel surrounding the radio/AC controls and maybe includes the top part where the air vents (and 4x4 push buttons if you have them) are located. So, everything that overlaps in front of that bezel needs to come off first. I believe this includes;

1. bezel surrounding the instrument cluster - I think that just snaps off. be careful. Some of the parts are brittle and break easily on this age of truck.

2. I think you need to remove the ash tray and its bracket. The bracket is held by 2 screws (7mm socket or T? torx). If I recall correctly, these screws also go through the radio surround bezel.

3. I think you also need to remove the center piece of dash under the steering column. It is screwed on.

4. Then remove the other lower piece of the dash that is overlapping the radio surround bezel.

At this point, the radio surround bezel will come off. It may have some screws holding it or it might be snapped in. I can't remember if anything on the passenger side needs to be removed. But you should be able to figure that out now that you are familiar with Fords method of putting a dash together.

Good luck.
These instructions will self-destruct in 13.7 seconds.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
super simple, I've put a handful of stereos in my '90 Ranger, and had the dash apart many more times for various reasons...

First remove the two screws holding the ashtray in, then pull the whole tray out, it snaps in so just pull... now the rest just snaps out, no other fasteners, get your fingers under it somewhere and keep going around all the way including the part around the headlight switch and around the gauges.

As for getting the stereo out, it changes but there might be screws in there... every kit is different... As for a good stereo to put in, most of the single DIN stereos fit without issue, I've had a Blaupunkt and the current Pioneer for most of the last 19 years and they fit fine. I don't think you will need an install kit, the bracket that they come with should slide in and stay with the bend tabs, and every stereo I've gotten has came with a pigtail so that should be enough to get you connected.

Leonm1645

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Ok thank y'all will look into it later today going to look at some single Din radios today I saw a boss and a kenwood I really liked, going for the boss its got all i need and don´t want to spend 100+ dollars on a radio.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
There are some decent sub $100 stereos out there, put one in my Geo Tracker about 5 years ago and it's still going strong... don't remember which brand I went with just wanted front USB...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals