• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Caring for the 93-97 steering box?

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
I noticed in my owners manual under lubricants it mentioned some kind of steering gear lubricant or something to that effect.

Is there something I should be doing to maintain/care about the steering box? Is it filled with some kind of fluid? Is it covered by the ATF in the power steering system (in which case, flushing power steering system covers steering gear as well ?).

I apologize if this is a completely stupid question. I have never seen anyone talk about maintaining the steering box and I have always wondered if it requires maintenance I'm not aware of beyond taking care of the power steering pump and fluid

chris

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No special lubricant needed, just Type-F ATF ('97 and I think maybe '96 spec'ed Mercon (Dex/Merc) ATF, but nothing about the pump or boxes are different, so either one is likely fine).

Changing (flushing out) the power steering fluid is a PITA just because of the mess it makes (there is no drain plug anywhere). Best way I've found is just disconnect the low-pressure line fitting from the box (blow any dirt off it first), then cycle the steering back & forth a number of times (wheels off the ground) and let the fluid all run out the hose & fitting (pressurizing the reservoir might help blow some more fluid out as well... I need to try this next time).
You'll want to have catch pans and some old cardboard boxes and/or newspapers laid down under the truck, because no matter where you put the pan, not all of the fluid will end up in it lol.

Follow all this with some Gunk Engine Brite Original degreaser and hose everything off (the degreaser will quickly & easily remove fresh liquid oil).

Fortunately this doesn't have to be done very often in the interest of extending the life of the system (maybe every 5 years/50K miles). The maintenance schedule actually makes no mention of it, so Ford probably felt it never needs the fluid changed (yeah right :rolleyes: ).

That reminds me, it's been about that long since I've done mine...

Last edited:

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Awesome! Thanks so much. Good to know a normal flush would do.

It really is a pain isn't it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals