• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering wheel wiggle at 55mph+

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Ive been working the kinks out of my 96 2.3 4x4 (TTB), vibrated and generally handled pretty bad when I got it. Lot of issues with drive line angles, bushings, mounts, toe etc

I've got the truck to the point where it will hold a straight line and not wander at highway speeds on a good road, most if not all drive line vibration is gone, but there is one odd issue remaining. At 55 or so mph and up, the steering wheel wiggles left to right. Not noticeable at speeds below that. I don't feel any vibration in the ride, or in the cab, or even in the steering wheel- it just kind of wiggles back and forth. Not violent, does not affect track, just a weird annoyance. Any idea what could cause that? Is this common with the TTB front end?

Other strange thing I've noticed: when steering wheel locks, the wheel is pointed right slightly, not centered. Guessing that is not related, but wondering if that's normal as well

I do not seem to have any loose tie rod ends or other steering links. Wheel bearings are new and the locknuts have not loosened up. I have the toe set to 1/16" in, which should be in spec? I have not balanced my tires which I realize is an obvious thing I should do to rule it out, but they are getting close to the wear bars and I plan on getting new ones very soon so I will wait on that til I put new ones on

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Your front tires are not balanced correctly.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have not balanced my tires which I realize is an obvious thing I should do
Thanks for taking the time to answer your own question! :icon_thumby:

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hah! Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Just don't know enough to do know if that was the issue or not.

Clearly I will get my new ones balanced when I get them. I meant to get the current ones balanced but they were used and didn't have a lot of life left so I just didn't bother knowing I'd get new ones soon anyway

Thanks as always!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Make sure they do what is called "Dynamic balancing" on your tires, otherwise the wiggle could still remain afterward (some places cheap out and only do a "static balance" because it generally uses less wheel weights).

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Make sure they do what is called "Dynamic balancing" on your tires, otherwise the wiggle could still remain afterward (some places cheap out and only do a "static balance" because it generally uses less wheel weights).
Excellent point!

Cant tell you how many times I've seen guys with those goofy imports who refuse to get the wheels properly balanced because they dont want a weight on the outside of the rim. "It looks ugly!". Then they bitch about shakes at certain speeds. On a car with huge offset wheels you can usually dynamic balance with one weight way inside, and one weight way outside but both on the inner side of the rim (with stickies). Truck rims are usually pretty small offsets, you need real weights on both sides.

I've never been to a place in this day and age that would take a daily driver truck and try to static balance anymore except when I worked at a shop that did 4x4 work. We did a static balance then loaded up the shot. These were trucks that did not belong on the highway or even basic roads and they all signed a huge form before we would put tires on.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Thanks again guys, that's great to know. Much appreciated.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Go one step farther. Find a place with a RoadForce balancer and specifically request that be done. Although most places worth what you pay them that have one will do it to new tires anyway.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Go one step farther. Find a place with a RoadForce balancer and specifically request that be done. Although most places worth what you pay them that have one will do it to new tires anyway.
Thanks for the tip!

I had my local wal mart balance the last set of wheels and tires I brought in, they actually told me they do Roadforce balancing and there were wheel weights on both sides of the wheels, I was surprised to find how ridiculously smooth that truck went down the road after, I guess I'll do that again

Sad to say the alignment shop I have always gone to has been going to pot, they didn't even touch the toe or anything else on a ttb ranger my brother brought there, not sure they did anything other than a static balance from what you guys are describing

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals