• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Subtleties of the 8.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, been a while. 4-18-08 apparently. Ill try to make this as quick as possible. Im looking to ditch the 8" in my Fairlane with something better. The 8.8" instantly came to mind. Did some research, a sploder 8.8 is 1/4" wider than my 8". Some more research told me the Ranger version is 1" narrower than the ex, or 3/4" narrower than my 8". Narrower is better for my application, being that i can only get a 4.5" backspaced wheel. What i need to know is, what is the torsen diff? What rangers can i look at for a 31 spline axle with 3.73 or 4.11 gears, posi, disc brakes, and 5x4.5 bolt pattern?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
FX4 LVL II Rangers. The very FIRST year FX4's (LVL II wasn't around yet) also have them, but I don't recall off the top of my head what year that was.

The 28 spline Ranger 8.8 is still a pretty strong unit, or are you specifically after the torsen? Alot of those FX4's came with 4.10's too.

The Torsen diff is the L/S that's gear driven instead of clutch driven. They stay a tighter with age and are generally tighter overall.

You're stuck with drums as only the very last model year Rangers had disks. Otherwise you're swapping. Explorers had disks for a while longer, '95+?

All will have 5x4.5 pattern.

They make the Detroit Tru-Trac which is still a torsen for the 28 spline versions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Im after the bigger housing and 31 splines more than anything else. Going into a 69 Fairlane that will have a tuned on 351c, and eventually a 408w or 5.0 coyote that will see weekend club races. AOD might also be getting a brake.

The torsen would just be a bonus, disc swap shouldnt be too bad of a headache. Ill do some looking, but im guessing ex. rotors and calipers should "go right on"

From what i found, '02 is the first year Fx4... cant believe rangers were still drum... I was pretty sure the bolt pattern was the same, but didnt see anything saying for sure.

4.10s are what im after, 3.73s will work, im cheap, and anything is better than 2.6 gears lmao

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
All Rangers and all Explorers with a solid rear axle will have 5x4.5 pattern.

Unfortunately there is no "bolt on" disk brake conversion, it all requires some degree of fabbing. But Explorer disks are generally the go-to swap because they are the easiest and most convenient, and they're designed to fit basically the same axle. Tons of posts on what it takes in the brakes forum and maybe in the Tech library too. I don't fully know what it takes as I'm pretty happy with my 10" drums, but I do know it's not exactly bolt on.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
All Rangers and all Explorers with a solid rear axle will have 5x4.5 pattern.

Unfortunately there is no "bolt on" disk brake conversion, it all requires some degree of fabbing. But Explorer disks are generally the go-to swap because they are the easiest and most convenient, and they're designed to fit basically the same axle. Tons of posts on what it takes in the brakes forum and maybe in the Tech library too. I don't fully know what it takes as I'm pretty happy with my 10" drums, but I do know it's not exactly bolt on.
The fabbing part doesnt worry me, but thanks for the heads up. Going to be doing mini-tubs, sub-frame connectors, and rear spring relocation (into the frame rail) while the axle is out. Since im sticking with 15s, i know the ex' brakes will fit, and should work fairly well with the 11 or 12" wilwoods going on the front. Want to stay away from the brake fade at high speed you get with drums.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hard to say for sure, but im inclined to believe that 95-01 Ex' discs will bolt on to the Fx4 (31 spline) axle. As far as i can tell, the only difference in the 8.8s is all related to 28 spline, and 31 spline. According to the tech stickie on here - http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Brake_Upgrades.shtml - The brakes from a 31 spline axle "should" bolt on to another 31 spline axle. Famous last words. I have to find an Fx4 with right axle before i get too worked up though. All this in the name of 3/4 of a lousy inch lol :annoyed:

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also keep in mind that the expos are a spring under setup vs the rangers spring over. You mentioned above the fabbing doesn't bother you but I thought I'd give you a heads up.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Also keep in mind that the expos are a spring under setup vs the rangers spring over. You mentioned above the fabbing doesn't bother you but I thought I'd give you a heads up.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk
I appreciate it. I figured i would be moving them regardless, but actually there is a chance i wouldnt have to move the explorer perches, depends on how much the spring mover kit actually gives me, and which shackle i end up buying /building.

Wish i could find out if the late ranger disc axles are big bearing or small bearing. Could be another option, i could live with the 28 spline and replace later on with chromos and a detroit locker or true-track, more likely the latter. The performance of the detroit locker is undeniable, but im not sure if i could live with the constant clattering. Besides that, they sound like they wouldnt work so well in autocross style driving, vs the true-track which excells at it.

What i really need to do is buy the wheels and tires, and see if i really need the 3/4" Have been putting off buying them as theres no sense to have wheels and tires if its not in a drivable state :icon_confused:

Ill just keep my fingers crossed, and see if i can stumble across an Fx4 at the junkyard. Unfortunatley, the Fx4s are too new to be at the cheap one... so may wind up just getting an Ex axle anyway if they want more than what i want to give em (about 250ish)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
After calling a few junkyards around here... its soul searching time. Odds of finding a torsen axle seem slim to none, and will be to the tune of $500 if i find one. So im looking at the standard 28 spline small tube ranger axle, or the bigger explorer axle. From what i understand, all the mustangs get the 28 spline, with exception of maybe the boss / cobra editions after '05 so, as you say Captain, the 28 spline seems to be fairly robust. Also, Mustang discs go on without too much fuss, or i suppose i can live with drums.

I really need to keep in mind this is a hot-rod go fast buggy. Ive spent too much time on 4x4s and diesels, and tend to have the mindset of bigger is better, who cares if it weighs more. More than that, ultimately, this axle swap is nothing more than a cheap means of re-gearing my car, which will likely be replaced down the road with a 4-linked 9". Given the mild nature of the 351 going in (hoping to see 200-220whp) and being a 3100lb car. Stength shouldnt be that big of an issue, even with DOTs and a brake, which may or may not go in.

I find myself leaning more towards a ranger 8.8 with the trash-lok, and rebuilding the clutches, especially if the diff gets opened to do a disc swap.... clutch kit is cheap anyway.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
You can break anything given the correct circumstances, but with 220 hp and only 3100 lbs, you should be good to go.

That's basically an OHV 4.0L, Standard cab, short bed Ranger. Well, maybe a bit more, because that's whp you're listing. Either way, unless you're launching on slicks, you shouldn't have issues with the service life of a 28 spline 8.8.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
... unless you're launching on slicks, you shouldn't have issues with the service life of a 28 spline 8.8.
That was my initial reasoning for wanting the big tubes and axles. If it wont hook with the 275/60 Avengers (likely) i will probably get a set of Hoosiers, or at the very least some radials. Ive read some of the abuse the 8.8s take in the mustangs, so im not terribly worried, especially with a 2800 stall. If i get the 2step and trans brake in might make it more of a gamble though. Will just see what i end up with, and how it works. I didnt pick my avatar at random :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals