• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ranger Head Unit - Substitutions ?

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My stereo on/off knob doesn't work. I can't turn the stereo off. For the time being I just turn down the volume when I want it off. It got me thinking, though, that something new might be nice. Having a unit that has bluetooth to connect with the cell phone would be very helpful. A usb input would also be good. So I figured that a new head unit would solve all of those issues.

I went to Crutchfield to look at alternative head units. I honestly didn't like anything I saw - way too many lights and cheap plastic accents for my taste. I don't want a light show - just a something that works and while I'm at it has the newer features I mentioned.

I don't care that much about the audio quality - the existing OEM unit is fine for me. So, I'm wondering if there is an OEM unit from a newer model year that would have a usb port and bluetooth that I could pick up at a junkyard and will slide right in and plug up. Maybe a tall order - don't know.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I had a Dual touch screen unit in the Explorer for a few months before I sold it. I liked that one. It had bluetooth, aux, USB, and microSD inputs. The ony issue I had with it was the SD input seemed screwy, but that could also have been the cheap card I was using ($4 for a 256 gig card seemed too good).

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had a Dual touch screen unit in the Explorer for a few months before I sold it. I liked that one. It had bluetooth, aux, USB, and microSD inputs. The ony issue I had with it was the SD input seemed screwy, but that could also have been the cheap card I was using ($4 for a 256 gig card seemed too good).
I'm a cheapskate. I would guess a touchscreen costs way more than I want to spend.

Also, we've got a touchscreen in the Subie Forester - I don't like it for the same reason I don't like the aftermarket units that crutchfield carries - the extra light in the dark is distracting to me. I like the old school buttons and knobs AND the fact the the OEM units look like they actually belong.

Thanks for the suggestion though - I appreciate it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Retail is not terrible for a double DIN head unit, I think it goes for around $150 usually. The nice thing with that one was that the screen could be dimmed in the settings, or turned off altogether without turning the radio itself off.

I really don't know if you are going to find something similar in style to the factory radio in an aftermarket head unit. That's a rare thing these days.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Retail is not terrible for a double DIN head unit, I think it goes for around $150 usually. The nice thing with that one was that the screen could be dimmed in the settings, or turned off altogether without turning the radio itself off.

I really don't know if you are going to find something similar in style to the factory radio in an aftermarket head unit. That's a rare thing these days.
Yeah, I know - I don't want an aftermarket unit.

My original question was is there a head unit from another Ford model year or Ford vehicle that would fit and has one or both of the two features I'm looking for. I don't care about the audio quality. Junk yard head units are practically free.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No Ford OE head unit had integrated Bluetooth. That was always a function of the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module), which are about as stable and good at not burning up as a gallon of gas in a flame thrower.

Same with USB. There is no OE head unit that has onboard USB. The 2010-ish Explorers and F-series might get you the closest, but you still have to fine one with Sync, and take a bunch of other components related to that system just to get the USB port working.

An 05-09 F-150 of Fusion with premium sound, can get you an aux jack without a ton of extra crap, but the jack is still remote mounted on top of the dash or in the center console. All of those units will also require at least changing the plug.

Basically what you want doesn't exist in a discreet package. I never even saw the part where you said you wanted to stick to an OE head unit. I saw the list of features you were after and discarded that possibility because it's a non-starter.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No Ford OE head unit had integrated Bluetooth. That was always a function of the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module), which are about as stable and good at not burning up as a gallon of gas in a flame thrower.

Same with USB. There is no OE head unit that has onboard USB. The 2010-ish Explorers and F-series might get you the closest, but you still have to fine one with Sync, and take a bunch of other components related to that system just to get the USB port working.

An 05-09 F-150 of Fusion with premium sound, can get you an aux jack without a ton of extra crap, but the jack is still remote mounted on top of the dash or in the center console. All of those units will also require at least changing the plug.

Basically what you want doesn't exist in a discreet package. I never even saw the part where you said you wanted to stick to an OE head unit. I saw the list of features you were after and discarded that possibility because it's a non-starter.
Thanks. No big deal, I appreciate the info. Now I won't waste my time searching for something that doesn't exist. I put an aftermarket kenwood in my 96 camry and it worked great but it looked way out of place - it just didnt look like it belonged. I spent a lot of time looking for something that at least "blended" and finally settled on something I didn't like. It bothered me a little bit every time I turned it on.

Your touch screen idea might get me closest to something that doesn't look like a neon sign covered in chrome.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, this is the one I had.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Dv527bt-6-2-Double-din-In-dash-Dvd-Receiver-With-Bluetooth/55560639?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1424&adid=22222222227072407354&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=182972529763&wl4=pla-309885002394&wl5=9006593&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112561892&wl11=online&wl12=55560639&wl13=&veh=sem

The back ground can be changed to any picture you want, as I said I believe the screen could be turned off while the radio was still on, and I think the brightness could could be adjusted on board, in addition to hooking up the dimmer for when your parking lights are on.

My local Walmart has one in the audio "section" on the display where you can turn them on and play with the features, check it out before you buy.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Dv527bt-6-2-Double-din-In-dash-Dvd-Receiver-With-Bluetooth/55560639?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1424&adid=22222222227072407354&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=182972529763&wl4=pla-309885002394&wl5=9006593&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112561892&wl11=online&wl12=55560639&wl13=&veh=sem

The back ground can be changed to any picture you want, as I said I believe the screen could be turned off while the radio was still on, and I think the brightness could could be adjusted on board, in addition to hooking up the dimmer for when your parking lights are on.

My local Walmart has one in the audio "section" on the display where you can turn them on and play with the features, check it out before you buy.
Thanks - I'll check it out.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

You were right all along! I decided to put in a double DIN touch screen and while I'm at I'd like to add a back up camera since I have a cap on the back and hardly see out of it in parking lots. Is the a hole in the firewall or floor pan somewhere that I can run the camera wires through?

If you can give me a couple of ideas or possibilities you'll save me a lot of the effort of searching myself. I've got a neck problem and digging around in the engine compartment or craning my neck from below the truck hunting for holes will cause me pain for weeks.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't know how yours is setup, by my firewall had punchouts for things like the TV cable for an automatic, the wire harness for cruise control, and the manual trans hydraulics. I have been able to use those holes for running extra stuff from the cab out into the engine bay.

A lot of them will also have punch-outs in the floor for various things like E-shift 4x4. I have also just run wires down through the hole my shifter comes through, but all those were things that needed 12V in reverse, which you will need, so think about that.

Oh to be a fly on the wall for anyone else who ever has to trace my wiring.

The only aftermarket backup camera I have ever installed was done on a Fusion, and I was able to run all the wires inside the car from dash to trunk, and go through an existing body plug to get outside and put the camera in the bumper.

Last edited:

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't know how yours is setup, by my firewall had punchouts for things like the TV cable for an automatic, the wire harness for cruise control, and the manual trans hydraulics. I have been able to use those holes for running extra stuff from the cab out into the engine bay.

A lot of them will also have punch-outs in the floor for various things like E-shift 4x4. I have also just run wires down through the hole my shifter comes through, but all those were things that needed 12V in reverse, which you will need, so think about that.

Oh to be a fly on the wall for anyone else who ever has to trace my wiring.

The only aftermarket backup camera I have ever installed was done on a Fusion, and I was able to run all the wires inside the car from dash to trunk, and go through an existing body plug to get outside and put the camera in the bumper.
I've thought about needing 12V in reverse for the backup camera. I can get it off the taillights but its sort of a half assed way of doing it- although I've got to run the camera signal wire so it wouldn't really be any extra work, just a lot of extra wire. The wire harness up front probably has the wire that goes to the tail lights but I wiuld guess it will be tough to find. Not looking forward to crawling around on my back under the dash.

The dash on the 96 has no flat spots anywhere. I want to put in a USB and aux port and the radios I like only have those on the back. There is a good candidate flat spot that looks big/deep enough on the floor console between the two cup holders, but it would be a spill target. One of the extensions I found has a flip cover so I may just go with that and be done with it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, for what you are doing it is probably easiest to get R-only power at the bulb, since you are running wires close to there already. The kit I worked with on that Fusion had a harness in it that had that wire run to the back with the video cable.

The two that I was doing where I needed R-only power I was installing auto-dimming mirrors on vehicles with a manual transmission and transfer case, so I already had a great big hole in the floor right above the reverse switch. The first one I was even lucky enough to have the whole interior out and the cab off the frame when I did it (more like I was doing those other things and ran the wires for the mirror while it was all out in the open).

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah, for what you are doing it is probably easiest to get R-only power at the bulb, since you are running wires close to there already. The kit I worked with on that Fusion had a harness in it that had that wire run to the back with the video cable.

The two that I was doing where I needed R-only power I was installing auto-dimming mirrors on vehicles with a manual transmission and transfer case, so I already had a great big hole in the floor right above the reverse switch. The first one I was even lucky enough to have the whole interior out and the cab off the frame when I did it (more like I was doing those other things and ran the wires for the mirror while it was all out in the open).
I hate screwing around with electrical. I kind of would like to bypass the parking brake just so I don't have to fish around and find the wire. ... not that I want to watch movies and drive at the same time. That would be pretty stupid.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
in my Sport Trac, I had a double DIN Kenwood Touchscreen, Bluetooth, CD/DVD player, 2 RCA input jacks, S-Video and it looked pretty clean compared to the old 6disc head unit that came out of it. Almost looked like a factory installed unit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals