• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

roadhog2002

roadhog2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 LTR
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2001 ford ranger XLT 4.0ltr 4x4 and I am having two problems and I am not sure if they are related. 1) Is at idle if I turn on either the heat or AC i get a slight drop in idle. I have removed the IAC and it looks clean (but i can't find anywhere that tells me if when disconnected it should be open or closed, it looks closed) I tried unplugging the IAC while running and the truck stalls immediately.
2) if I turn on the AC the compressor cycles 1-2 sec on and the 6-8 secs off continuously and does not get cold, i have tried twice to add 134-a refrigerant and doesn't really seem to take any. I only have a hose with a single gauge and the pressure goes between 90 and 100 lbs but nothing changes

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For starters, wrong place to be asking for help:

Show of your trucks, or post your build threads. This is NOT a help forum. Post your questions in the Help Forums further down
You'd get more/better help if you posted this down in the "Heating & Air Conditioning" help forum.

Issue 1: That's normal operation. The AC compressor clutch is engaged which means the compressor is turning and putting an additional load on the engine. Additional load on the engine causes idle RPM to drop slightly.

Issue 2: Can't help you, but I'm sure someone can if you post in the correct section. There are many things that can go wrong with an AC system and I'm not familiar enough with them, to help someone that also isn't similar with them, to diagnose the problem over the internet. Also without the proper tools you may be chasing you tail, and it may be cheaper to just pay someone to fix it than to buy the correct tools to fix it yourself.

roadhog2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 LTR
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you new to this forum!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals