Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > 4WD Systems

Notices

4WD Systems Transfer Cases & Locking Hubs.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Anonymous Ranger

Anonymous Ranger is on a distinguished road
Default 96 ranger - low range shift motor probs.

Hello guys. I'm pretty new to the Ranger thing. Well not so new to driving it but definitely to wrenching on it. My 96 XLT has push button low range. It only works when I'm lucky. Sometimes it'll shift into low but take half an hour of hitting the button to come out of low. This is very annoying. Any experience with this problem? I'm not sure where to start looking - is this a common problem? Can't help but think a shift lever was the better solution but Ford couldn't leave well enough alone. I'm going to start by trying to isolate the problem motor vs wiring and switch. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Anonymous Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
railman
December 2011 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger SC 4X4
I use this vehicle for: everything
railman will become famous soon enoughrailman will become famous soon enough

first off, ya sure it is a 96...should be a knob....

secondly, is it an auto or manual tranny......

lastly, if it has any driveline pressure on it, will not switch til the "bind" is eased off.....

l8r, John
Old 02-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Anonymous Ranger

Anonymous Ranger is on a distinguished road

Sorry about the year thing. You're correct it's a 94 - I'm loosing it! I've tried all manner of maneuvers to relieve the tension in the system - doesn't help. It is a 5 spd with terribly tall gears. This is in fact the reason I always need the low range - it's pretty useless off-road in high range. BTW I also get a symphony of pops, groans and grinds while in high range off-road. From my research online this seems a symptom bitched auto hubs. I think the fact that they don't correctly engage or disengage may put tension on the drivetrain.
Anonymous Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote