• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

best battery

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
As in best value? Probably the Voyager. Can't beat ~9 years of 105AH leak-free service for $95 (what i paid about 1½ years ago for a Voyager M27MF at Carquest).

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Optima doesnt have a good rep in recent years....

But my marine grade blue top I've put through the ringer and have had great luck with it. Couldn't be happier. Hopefully it doesn't crap out like the rest.

I've winched myself multiple times now with the motor off, and it always starts my truck up despite the drain. I've even winched my DEAD truck out of a stuck, onto a flatbed trailer.....replaced the offending part that had failed (fuel pump)...let the truck sit for a week, and it still fired up like it was fully charged 8 days later. I'm a skeptical person, but that's some hard evidence to argue with :icon_twisted:

I've left my lights on too for 4 hours once, and it started up just fine. No hint of a weak turnover.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Yea I'm thinking about a deep cycle when the time comes because I'm going to be putting a winch and 6 to 8 offroad lights plus a decent stereo. I just got a new one last year so I want to do my homework now lol.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I wouldn't depend on bigger batteries for lights... you need a bigger alternator if it's not able to keep up.

(running the lights engine-off is a different matter though, not sure if that's what you meant)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SA

We have good luck with Interstate at work, not many come back for warrenty.

Most find their way in diesels... which is not a friendly enviroment for a battery (or two)

I got the biggest one they had on the truck (as an "econo" battery, basically one that timed out on the shelf somewhere else) for $23.95. The one of the same group we had in stock is rated about 725CCA off the top of my head. Whips the 302 over a lot better than the 3 year old 525CCA wally world special. I need to test it, it really struggled in the end.

That is with the standard Ranger lighting and a big Efan that runs quite a bit with the otherwise pathetic 45 or 65 amp stock Ranger alternator.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
here where i live, nothing less than 850cca goes into any of my vehicles. not uncommon to see -25 to -30 in the winter. and my ranger sits outside but has the block heater plugged in for sure. a few weeks ago, i also upgraded my alternator to one of the 130+ amp aftermarket ones.
my Orbital battery (exide mfg iirc) is the agm type as when you start getting into 850+ cca batteries, the plates in the regular lead-acid type start getting pretty thin and don't seem to last nearly as long here. at least that's been my experience.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I was considering a larger alternator but damn they are expensive and i don't care for the chrome plating on some lol. Anyways, I would love a dual battery setup, but I'm not sure my alternator would even charge both at once plus i doubt it will fit under the hood. Wish I had something like my brother in law with his 98 Chevy, it has two battery trays already there lol. Yea i used to get the best batteries from a guy who rebuilds them locally and basically lets you pick whatever size you like for 25 bucks lol. he just has like 50 batteries of all sizes lying around that he rebuilt. I imagine it's hit or miss but I never had any problems. Also I don't need to worry about cold temps the coldest it ever got here is like 20 degrees lol for like an hour. Usually its 's 100 plus here in south Texas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals