• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift advise

jglimpse

Reaction score
OK so I had a 87 4x4 ranger with about a 4 inch lift and radius arms (sky jacker I think) I was happy with how it rode on the road but on dirt roads or wheeling it always seemed to stiff. So I just got a 91 ranger EXT cab 4.0. So now its time to lift the new truck I am thinking of using the jeep coils. So my first question is what size lift brackets should I order? The ones for a 6" 5.5" or 4" lift. Next question is what should I do for Rear leafs? Explorer leafs or Chevy leafs? Thanks any input advise and personal experience is greatly appreciated

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Jeep coils will be too soft for your truck, especially with the 4.0L. Look into a set of Early Bronco coils. Tom's are progressive rate, as are Wild Horses, but I think Toms also offers a linear rate coil, that's that you need (the 3.5" coil should get you around 5-6" of lift depending on your front end weight. The 5.5" coil will give you 7-8" of lift, and make the truck a rather scary road-truck.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I would also think that the jeep coils would be too soft for your larger ranger.

I run 4.5" XJ coils with 4" pivot drops and had to use as much spacer as I could under the coil to get a full 4" out if it. This is on a Ranger Cab BII witch I would imagine weighs much less than that of a Ext cab 4.0 Ranger.

jglimpse

Reaction score
Whats the difference between progressive rate and linear rate coil? So if I go with the 3.5" coils I should order 6" drop brackets from skyjacker is that correct? Also what should I do in the back? Thanks for all the help

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Whats the difference between progressive rate and linear rate coil?
A progressive rate spring gets harder to compress the further it goes and a linearspring takes the same amount of force to compress throughout its travel.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Whats the difference between progressive rate and linear rate coil? So if I go with the 3.5" coils I should order 6" drop brackets from skyjacker is that correct? Also what should I do in the back? Thanks for all the help
The 3.5" coil should work with those brackets. Since you have the Ext cab, you may need to drop them to the 4" holes for better alignability, or add a few washers underneath the springs to shim it up a bit.

Before you order anything, call and talk to the company, make sure you are getting a linear rate coil. I thought the Tom's coils were linear, but when they came in the box, they were progressive....:mad:

jglimpse

Reaction score
The 3.5" coil should work with those brackets. Since you have the Ext cab, you may need to drop them to the 4" holes for better alignability, or add a few washers underneath the springs to shim it up a bit
Not sure if I am understanding this right but if I order brackets for a 6" lift do they also have holes for 4"? Just want to make sure I know what I need before I order the wrong stuff

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the Skyjacker brackets have holes for their 4" lift as well as a hole for the 6" kit. In many cases, the upper holes are used even with the 6" kit when installed on the 4.0L ext cab trucks.

jglimpse

Reaction score
Cool I think I found a set of bracket on here from another user and also toms Bronco parts is right here in medford were I live so Im going to pick up springs today Ill post pics tomorrow. Any advise on how to bring the back up? Still want a soft ride (lots of wash board roads where we hunt)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Use 4" brackets (or holes) and keep your lift no taller than that.
Keeping the steering angles together is much easier at 3-4" lift than anything taller (improper linkage geometry can cause the suspension to jack and do all sorts of weird things. Read the Jeep springs post at the top here if you haven't already).

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
sofride

Cool I think I found a set of bracket on here from another user and also toms Bronco parts is right here in medford were I live so Im going to pick up springs today Ill post pics tomorrow. Any advise on how to bring the back up? Still want a soft ride (lots of wash board roads where we hunt)
well you might be getting sick of my advise but here it goes.lift blocks will retain a soft ride because the stock flat springs are retained but will make more wheel hop from the extra leverage on the spring.a longer shackle might work but im not sure where to get one,you wouldnt need as tall of a block then.if you dont mind cutting and drilling you can use longer leaves with more arch to keep a nicer ride and get more flex.companies like deaver make good lift springs to fit stock mounts that arent too harsh also.add a leaves will make your ride harsher and dont give a lot of lift,they also wear out pretty fast.if all else fails some wieght in the back of the truck will make the tires follow the ground better and it wont skip off the top of the washboards as much.when i was working in the woods up there my truck always rode better with a log or two between the wheel humps and tailgate.

jglimpse

Reaction score
I think Im just going to throw the blocks in for now then Ill get some new leafs later. Im going to start this project tonight so Ill take some pics and post pics of the progress as it comes a long, and grows, I think I have all my parts now less shocks and drive lines will need to have some length added I think not to sure about that. Only time will tell or maybe you guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals