• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

high beams-yes low beams -no ??

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I searched the posts a bit and didnt find any thing similar to my problem. MY high beams work but my low beams do not. any ideas?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well your bulbs may be burnt out on just the low beams if you use them more often but it sounds exactly like the problem my friend is having with his 93. We ended up replacing the multi switch with a junk yard one and they worked for a while but now its starting to happen again and I couldn't find anything wrong with the old switch so I would start checking the plugs for bad or corroded connections.

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
I searched the posts a bit and didnt find any thing similar to my problem. MY high beams work but my low beams do not. any ideas?
Well since you didn't put you rig info in either the sidebar or a signature we'll have to guess. 1. The dimmer switch is bad. 2. The main fuse box under the hood may have a low beam headlight fuse that's blown. 3. Also bad bulbs but those are Vegas odds that they'd both blow the low beam filament at the same time.

The problem is if we don't know what you own & drive we have to generalize our answers.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well since you didn't put you rig info in either the sidebar or a signature we'll have to guess. 1. The dimmer switch is bad. 2. The main fuse box under the hood may have a low beam headlight fuse that's blown. 3. Also bad bulbs but those are Vegas odds that they'd both blow the low beam filament at the same time.

The problem is if we don't know what you own & drive we have to generalize our answers.
Yep. Sorry. I was distracted. It's almost like yours. 94 2.3 with the a4ld.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the bulbs are bad. i saw this 1000 times during my autozone days. go get new bulbs and put them in and i bet they'll work

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
the bulbs are bad. i saw this 1000 times during my autozone days. go get new bulbs and put them in and i bet they'll work
Not nessiscarly ecause my friends had both lows working after we fiddles with the plugs in the dash column.

Although he could have not noticed one went out because it was so dim to begin with and then only noticed the second one going out....

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well it was not the headlight itself. I bought a new one. same problem. only brights work. I checked all fuses in the dash and under the hood. as to relays and multi-switches, I have no idea where these items are so I cannot check them. I alos checked the gounds that are responsible for the headlights and they seem tight and in good condition. i wiggles the harness that goes through the firewall in the engine compartment and under the dash to see if I got a flicker or something. nothing changed as I worked. the low beams didnt work nor did they flicker.

IM stumped.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Multi function switch = turn signal/wipers stalk.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
579, did this cure your problem?

Got the same problem, High beams work, no low beams. Turn signals work, wiper works.

Fuse, relay or something that central to low beams only?

Multi switch..... that's the switch that controls the headlight beams and the wipers correct?

How is it removed?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Chances are pretty good it is the connector to or the turn signal dimmer switch. If the brights work then the power is good up to the dimmer multifunction switch. Highs and lows use the same circuit from the light switch. Correct wiper washer, turn signal and high beam hense the name multifunction.

Navyrs

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a similiar problem with my 91. I kept blowing my passenger side headlight. I bought a HEAVY-DUTY HEADLIGHT HARNESS from LMC. The part number is 47-3661. It runs the power for the lights thru a relay, instead of thru the switch. I havent had any problems with my lights and they are a lot brighter. Only cost $30.00. Hope this helps.

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks everyone!

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
It was the switch. I could see two problems.

1- The "Brown" connector at one spot had gotten very hot and melted partially.
ditto on the switch in the same spot.

2-The "white" connector had one of the wires pushed out, it doesn't lock into the connector like the others do, so when you push the whole connector onto the switch, a wire in the back has a tendency to push out of the back.

I swapped the switch with one from my Ranger just to see if it would work, and it did.

Not sure what made the "Brown" connector overheat though.... something common?

rosscob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I don't mean to hijack your thread but I'm having the opposite problem on my '88 XLT, headlights work, just no high beams. Turn signals work fine but when I hit the high beams the lights go out, the high beam indicator in the dash doesn't even light up so I don't think it's the bulbs so I'm guessing the switch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals