• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93-97 to 01-05 Tail Lens WITHOUT trailer converter kit

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
Original Poster: four100d

Difficulty: 4 out of 10

Time to install: 2-3 hours

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: Install 01-05 Ranger 2 bulb Tail lenses in a 93-97 WITHOUT using a trailer converter kit.

The 01-05 tail lenses have 2 chambers, the upper (clear) and lower (red). You will be using the upper chamber for your turn signal, and lower for the tail/ brake light. You will be making a new socket hole in the upper chamber (clear) horizontal to the factory hole.

Note: The turn signal and reverse light using the same chamber will not effect anything. How often does one go in reverse while using their signals? :)

In this mod I used smaller sockets and bulbs in place of the factory reverse sockets. The bulbs I used are 17.92 watts. The factory reverse bulbs are 26.88 watts. They are dimmer than factory, but still shine plenty bright to see and to warn other drivers that you are in reverse. Also, I have switchable auxiliary reverse lights installed under my rear bumper, so if I need more than 17.92 watts (x2) then I have two 55w lights at my disposal... :)

This tutorial assumes you know how to use the tools below, and know how to take out your tail lenses and change bulbs. If you do not know how to use some of the tools, or take out your tail lenses, you will need to figure that out before you read on.

If you read this tutorial and decide you are not sure about this solution and want more info on 93-97 to 01-05 tail light upgrade, go here.

Tools Needed:
  • Drill
  • Small drill bit for pilot hole (1/8" to 1/4")
  • Step drill bit (or drill bit matching diameter of lamp socket)
  • Razor knife
  • Soldering Iron and solder (or crimping tool and crimp connectors)
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • Wire strippers
  • Electric heat gun (not mandatory, but helps make sockets flexible for easy install)

Parts Needed:

• 2 - License Sidemarker Sockets (Part #85814)
  • 1 - 2 pack of 921 LL Bulbs
  • 1 - 2 pack of Amber turn signal bulbs (3157-4157NALL)
  • Cord Weatherstrip (Not mandatory, but adds a better seal to socket and is easily removed)
  • Electrical tape
  • Heat shrink tubing (Not mandatory, but it is better than just electrical tape)

Note: Use a towel to put the tail lenses on while working on them to keep from scratching them.

Step 1:

Gather all tools and materials and mark where you want to drill your hole for the new socket. I put my socket closer to the edge of the UPPER (clear) chamber, level / horizontally centered with the factory hole, but you can move it closer to the factory socket hole if you choose, as long as there is room for both. Once you are sure you have your hole marked and where you want it, use your drill and 1/8" or 1/4" bit to make your pilot hole.

Note: Try and use short bits; you don't want the drill bits going through the outer part of the tail lens. If you DON'T have short drill bits, Go easy...

Once you have the pilot hole drilled, use your step bit, or drill bit matching the socket diameter and drill your hole for the round part of the socket. With the step bit, you can start it by hand. Then slowly drill a little at a time, checking the diameter to make sure you don't drill it too big. Better to be a little on the small side, than too big. I drilled mine just a little smaller than the socket, then cleaned it up with a razor knife because the step bit left a beveled hole.

Step 2:

Once you are sure you have the round hole the right diameter, grab your razor knife and start slowly cutting out your notches. I started mine a little smaller and kept checking how well the socket fit as I was cutting the notches out bigger. The notches do not have to be absolutely perfect, but TAKE YOUR TIME!

Once you are done drilling and notching the holes in both tail lenses, make sure you turn the tail lenses (holes down) and shake all of the pieces of plastic out of them.

Step 3:

Install the 921 LL Bulbs in the new smaller sockets. Then insert and twist the sockets into tail lenses. It was cold outside when I done my tail lenses, so I used a heat gun to warm up the sockets (BEFORE PUTTING BULBS IN) just a little so they would go in the tail lenses easier. You may or may not have to heat them up. If you do, be careful with the heat gun, YOU CAN MELT THE SOCKET!

Step 4:

Remove the old tail lenses from your truck. Make note which sockets were installed in which opening of the 93-97 factory lenses. You should only have the sockets w/bulbs dangling out of the tail lens openings of the bed.

Step 5:

Tie into the reverse wires. You can either cut the factory reverse bulb socket out and solder the wires to the new socket, or you can use crimp connectors and tie into the reverse wires and leave the factory socket. If you decide to leave the factory socket, make sure you take the bulb out, and tape or zip tie it out of the way.

I cut my factory socket out, and soldered the new socket to the wires. Striped to Brown, Solid to Black. If you decide to solder them and you opt to use heat shrink tubing, put your tubing on before you solder them. Once soldered, use a cigarette lighter to shrink the tubing. Once your done it should look like this:

Repeat this step on both tail lenses.

Step 6:

Remove the clear turn signal bulbs and replace them with the yellow turn signal bulbs you bought. Then install the turn signal sockets in the upper (clear) chambers of the new tail lenses next to the new smaller sockets you drilled and installed. Install the brake/tail light sockets in the lower (red) chambers.

Step 7:
Get a friend, family member, wife, etc. to help you test the lights before you put everything back together.

Step 8:

Once you are sure everything works, you can now put the tail lenses back in the bed. Right before I put the lenses back in, I decided to use a little bit of cord weatherstrip around the new sockets I installed. You don't have to do this, but it helps ensure a good seal.

Step 9:

Tape / clean up the wires if you want. Then install the new tail lens back in the bed. Wipe them off, and enjoy!

There may or may not be a better way to do this, but I just wanted to share what worked for me... :)

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
intestering idea
good work man

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
looks like a good idea, do you have any pics of them lit up in reverse and with the signal on?

keviavuz78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
keviavuz78
Make / Model
keviavuz78
Transmission
Automatic
The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

bookkeeping services

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
looks like a good idea, do you have any pics of them lit up in reverse and with the signal on?

+1. Like to see the finished product

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Good job. I think I may have to go look for some newer taillights now. You have any daytime pics of how it looks without the lights on? Did you also think about trying it with led bulbs? Might make it brighter.

Last edited:

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good. Similar to what i did but the 06-11 taillights have an unused 3rd chamber I was able to use. Wonder if yours would pass a safety inspection (if your state requires them)

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
Good job. I think I may have to go look for some newer taillights now. You have any daytime pics of how it looks without the lights on? Did you also think about trying it with led bulbs? Might make it brighter.
I just got what was easily available as far as bulbs, I may order some led's and see if I can get a little more light from the reverse bulbs...

I found these here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/mini-wedge.html

The 921 replacements are down the page a bit, I may order them...

Looks good. Similar to what i did but the 06-11 taillights have an unused 3rd chamber I was able to use. Wonder if yours would pass a safety inspection (if your state requires them)

I picked mine up at the salvage yard. Someone had already taken them off and they were just laying there, so I grabbed them. It wasn't until I got home that I found out about the 2 bulb vs 3 bulb setup. I didn't want to mess with taking them back, so that's why I modded them to work.

That's a good question about safety inspection... I don't know, I have never had a vehicle inspected before...

Thanks guys...

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
I just thought of something. Couldn't you get a 3157 bulb socket and use a 3157 bulb? Wire up the backup power lead to one of the filaments and the turn signal to the other? Would that work? In my head it does.

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
I just thought of something. Couldn't you get a 3157 bulb socket and use a 3157 bulb? Wire up the backup power lead to one of the filaments and the turn signal to the other? Would that work? In my head it does.
Probably not, because you need a yellow bulb for the signal and a white one for reverse...

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Probably not, because you need a yellow bulb for the signal and a white one for reverse...
Electrically it would work. But yes, you would technically need a yellow bulb for the turn signal.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lenses for a 2000 are solid red and are already set up for a 3 bulb system. I just put a set in my 97 and it took about 5 minutes. The wiring is stretched pretty tight because of the different bulb locations but the holes are already there for all the sockets. No modification necessary. 2000 was the only year for a solid red, 3 bulb tail light.

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
Daytime pic...

Lenses for a 2000 are solid red and are already set up for a 3 bulb system. I just put a set in my 97 and it took about 5 minutes. The wiring is stretched pretty tight because of the different bulb locations but the holes are already there for all the sockets. No modification necessary. 2000 was the only year for a solid red, 3 bulb tail light.
One side of my wiring stretched just enough, but the other side I had to lengthen a little...

Yes, but like I said, I didn't know that stuff before I got mine. They were just laying in a truck bed at the salvage yard and I picked them up and bought them. Plus I really like the style of the 01-05 lenses so I made them work. :)

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Nice work. Good write up. Added to online magazine. Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals