• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

best battery

schneiderz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4 cylider
Transmission
Automatic
Hey I am looking for a new battery for my truck. I currently have a pos bosch battery. I already have 2 KC daylighters and two tractor lights on them and I plan to get a smittybilt XRC8 or 10 winch. What battery would yall suggest?

floridaoranges

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a red top optima and I love it. If you're going to be running all that a yellow top would probably be better. Just don't hook up the winch to the side posts or it will cause it to blow up.

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
XS Power makes some of the best batteries in the car audio world. The d6500 is a group 65 battery so should drop in a ranger with no problem.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
DieHard Platinum hands down. New Optima batteries suck hard. Trust me on this, I used to sell Optima and got sick and tired of people bringing them back so I started to recommend the DieHard Platinum to people even though we didnt sell them. They are an AGM like the Optima and have crazy amount of cold cranking amps and awesome reserve capacity. They also have like a 10 year warranty which is pretty awesome and in my opinion, makes it work the price.

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
DieHard Platinum hands down. New Optima batteries suck hard. Trust me on this, I used to sell Optima and got sick and tired of people bringing them back so I started to recommend the DieHard Platinum to people even though we didnt sell them. They are an AGM like the Optima and have crazy amount of cold cranking amps and awesome reserve capacity. They also have like a 10 year warranty which is pretty awesome and in my opinion, makes it work the price.
+10!!!! The Optima has really gone down hill in the last few years. They dropped the warranty to 3 years with free replacement VS the old 6 year / 3 year free replacement. The Diehard Platinum is the Odyssey battery with a Diehard decal on it. Odyssey batteries are known as one of the best made. The Diehard Platinum carries an 8 year warranty. I work at Advance and sell the Optima and see more and more coming in bad. Spend the extra $50 and get a good one.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I love my Exide Purple Haze deep cycle battery. Its 6 years old now and still tests the same the day i got it. I even killed it in -40c weather and froze it solid. Brought it in the house warmed it up and charged it for 2 days. Still like brand new after that.

igiveup

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i would still suggest optima red top

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've been using Delco Voyager deep-cycle batteries almost since the beginning of my offroading days (about 25 years now). They consistently last a minimum of 8 years (usually more like 9-10 years). To top that off they are still just under $100 as of a little over a year ago, and are more than 1½ times the capacity of the Optima.
The Voyager has a normal fluid electrolyte, however they are sealed very well, I've never once had leakage issues or problems with corroded terminals on a Voyager (unlike all the others I've had). They're made here in the USA by East-Penn.

If you absolutely have to jump on the AGM bandwagon, then I would say Odyssey, DieHard Platinum, or XS Power. I hear a lot of good word on the Deka Intimidator as well. Not so much on Optima though.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
East Penn/Deka AGM.
Have them on everything I own.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
XS Power makes some of the best batteries in the car audio world. The d6500 is a group 65 battery so should drop in a ranger with no problem.
With his body type the 65 series unfortunately does not fit without modifications, the newer rangers battery boxes can only fit a group 58 or 59. Or atlseat my 99 is that way but I also have 4x4 and 4 wheel ABS which cuts into the battery space.

I modified mine and went with a group 32 Diehard Platinum and it kicks A$$!!! I have had 10 100w KC's running off of it and it was doing its job just fine and starts my truck up everytime instantly even in -40 degree weather. :icon_thumby:

But if you go with gel cells I would get an Oddessy or Deka probably as optimas may be ok but last time i picked one up and looked at it it just didn't feel like it was put together very well.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I am going to try to fit a group 78DT into my truck when I get it. Its going to be a 08 FX4. I will let you know in the next couple of weeks when I get it.

igiveup

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have had an Orbital marine/starting battery for 5 years and no problems whatsoever! still going strong even through 5 long, northern Minnesota winters! it is an AGM type that looks similar to the Optima, but made by a different mfg. also less expensive.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i have had several new design optima's.. hated them. worst luck ever. i have one sitting out there right now that'll only hold like 2-3 volts. dang things suck.

right now i just have a stock spec duralast gold and some off brand marine battery in my truck. i run 2 batteries. always have.. but both of mine have been better than the damn ole optima's..

now the orbital's are AWESOME.
and i know people running the Delco Voyager deep-cycle on jeeps and other off road rigs and they swear by them.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+10!!!! The Optima has really gone down hill in the last few years. They dropped the warranty to 3 years with free replacement VS the old 6 year / 3 year free replacement. The Diehard Platinum is the Odyssey battery with a Diehard decal on it. Odyssey batteries are known as one of the best made. The Diehard Platinum carries an 8 year warranty. I work at Advance and sell the Optima and see more and more coming in bad. Spend the extra $50 and get a good one.
yup thats what i run, has been great so far.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
So since your all here whats the best deep cycle battery for the money? As in it won't break the bank when your looking to finally replace your old battery lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals