• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HID install in Projector lights

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I bought 2 HID kits, from http://www.vvme.com 9007 & H3 both single beam. I opted for the 6K sets, because I would rather have more lighting performace than the bright blue color.

I used the regular lights as high beams and the projectors as low beams.
The projector housings have a shield in them that only allows light to shine down, thus they make a perfect low beam for HIDs.

These are my old "xenon" bulbs. They worked ok, even with mud on them. But there was much need for improvement.

This was the origonal H3 bulb, this happened after 5 min of first being turned on. Somebody must have touched the glass at the factory.

These are the modifications needed to be done to the projectors to run a HID bulb. First, you must drill a 11/16 hole in the tail cap of the housing, then cut a notch so you can slide the wires through it. Then you need a spacer to hold the bulb in, I made mine from a piece of clear tubing (vacuum or fuel hose would work too), you must have a slice in it to put it around the end of the bulb.

Put the bulb in the back of the housing. Make sure it is completely seated and square in the housing. Then add your spacer.

Then put the tail cap back on, and tighten up all the screws.

This is what it looks like all done. the other bulb installs just as the origional ones do.

This is where and how I mounted the ballasts for the drivers side. Note that I labeled the boxes "H" and "L" for easy ID if I run into problems later on.

And this is where I mounted the passengers side ballasts. Labeled as well.

The Wiring...
The high beams/9007s: all your have to do with these is swap the pin from the left side to the right side of the plug on the bulb end of the harness, the middle pin is the ground, dont do anything with the middle pin. This makes it so that this bulb is turned on by the high beam instead of the low beam.
The low beams/H3s: The red wire of the 3 in the headlight plug must be cut and stripped, crimp/solder a male spade connector to it. That is now the power wire to run these as low beams. Then you must run a ground wire for each of the bulbs. Now the projectors are wired as low beams.
The HID setup:To wire up the HIDs is so simple you will laugh, no other cutting and splicing. A simple plug and play, just follow the suppied directions, if you think you need them.

It was easier to remove the grill and headlight housings to do this.
Halfway done, Halogen Vs HID

HIDs installed in the low beams/ projectors. Note that then don't glare upwards. Also note how bright they are in a very well lit shop.

HIDs installed in the high beams. Theres the "burn your retinas out" HID performance. Also note that this pic was also taken in a very well lit shop.

aggoodin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Such beautiful lights on a rough truck....

I have been on vacation all week. Hopefully my kit is at the door where DHL left it tuesday. I'll find out tonight.

What temp are your bulbs?

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Such beautiful lights on a rough truck....

I have been on vacation all week. Hopefully my kit is at the door where DHL left it tuesday. I'll find out tonight.

What temp are your bulbs?
What's so rough about her???

Pretty damn nice, for a truck that I wheel the hell out of. She just don't look so good with the grill out.

Both of my sets are 6K

aggoodin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It looks MUCH better with the grill in. :)

whitebassbenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
night shot ?? how you liking aswell?

Resurrection Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I just bought the same headlamp style today on ebay. But since I have only 1 9007 bulb for each, what is in the small projector beam part of the housing? I'm only wired for 1 bulb in each being a 1993.

I'd like to do the HID thing one day. I just ordered these housings cause my OE are rather cloudy and don't do much for me at night anymore.

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what did you have to do to make that grill fit?nice truck btw, those are the lights i want on my black ranger

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think I just bought the same headlamp style today on ebay. But since I have only 1 9007 bulb for each, what is in the small projector beam part of the housing? I'm only wired for 1 bulb in each being a 1993.

I'd like to do the HID thing one day. I just ordered these housings cause my OE are rather cloudy and don't do much for me at night anymore.
That's the same way mine were wired, I just swapped the low and high wires in the plug harness, then tapped the pojectors power wire into the low beam wire.

what did you have to do to make that grill fit?nice truck btw, those are the lights i want on my black ranger
As much as I'd like to be nice and tell you...
You'll notice I'm the only 3rd gen with a good looking grill.
Besides, the pics give it away... Hacksaw

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Looks good, but I thought swapping HID bulbs into a non-HID vehicle was illegal. You get pulled over pretty quick in Wisconsin for doing that...

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Looks good, but I thought swapping HID bulbs into a non-HID vehicle was illegal. You get pulled over pretty quick in Wisconsin for doing that...
It is, unless you buy the correct HID specific projectors, which if I'm not mistaken he did...

Resurrection Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's the same way mine were wired, I just swapped the low and high wires in the plug harness, then tapped the pojectors power wire into the low beam wire.
OK.. I just didn't know if the new headlights came with a bulb and wiring harness for the projector part of the lamp or if it was just for looks. I didn't know there was actual wriring to do in the swap of just the headlight housing.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
does anyone make headlight housings like that for an 89-92? I just searched ebay and found a ton of 93+ and even a couple for <88 but nothing in between...

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
It is, unless you buy the correct HID specific projectors, which if I'm not mistaken he did...
I thought it was always illegal...if a vehicle came without HID from the factory you're not allowed to install HID.

I'm hoping I'm wrong here, because if I am it means I can install HID on my Mustang. I've wanted to for awhile but always thought it was illegal.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I thought it was always illegal...if a vehicle came without HID from the factory you're not allowed to install HID.

I'm hoping I'm wrong here, because if I am it means I can install HID on my Mustang. I've wanted to for awhile but always thought it was illegal.
I hadn't heard that. I'm guessing it would be a state by state thing. Even so that would be hard to enforce with a fleet of patrolman that usually don't know that much about cars, what cars came stock with HID or how to tell.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals