• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 Ranger turn signal flasher

jackhammer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Out of the blue the turn signals (both) stopped working. I checked the fuse but it is fine. The hazards work fine. I searched the forums but did not find an answer. Maybe I missed it.

I have looked under the dash to the right and to the left of the steering column for the flasher and cannot find it. Can anybody shed a bit of light on the where abouts of this elusive electronic worm? :icon_confused:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The flasher is on the PASSENGER side of the steering column, under the dash, sorta behind your radio/heater controls. It's covered by a black plastic cover. Inside that plastic cover there's a couple of fuses and relays. The bright blue one would be your factory flasher.

But I don't think your problem is the flasher. I want to say it's the multifunction switch on your steering column. Do you brights work? Wipers?

jackhammer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The flasher is on the PASSENGER side of the steering column, under the dash, sorta behind your radio/heater controls. It's covered by a black plastic cover. Inside that plastic cover there's a couple of fuses and relays. The bright blue one would be your factory flasher.

But I don't think your problem is the flasher. I want to say it's the multifunction switch on your steering column. Do you brights work? Wipers?
Yes both work fine. I thot the column switch might be bad also, but everything works except the turn signals.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
My Ranger is a 98 and the flasher unit is yellow and right around the steering column. It has a 6 pin plug with 5 wires. Odd looking thing...has a standard looking square flasher unit inside it.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my buddy's 98 was blue just like my 01...

Still think it's multifunction switch though. Replace the flasher for good measure...it's only about $10. EP27 is the flasher type.

jackhammer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thx allot Fx4 for the pics. They will be a big help. As soon as I get my son over here to look at his truck again, I'll post the results.

jackhammer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger is a 98 and the flasher unit is yellow and right around the steering column. It has a 6 pin plug with 5 wires. Odd looking thing...has a standard looking square flasher unit inside it.
Thx Doofy... I think I saw that odd thing your talking about. Iwill check it out and post results as soon as I get my son back over here with his truck.

Thx again.

tm3204

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
1998 ford Ranger

i have that same problem with my ranger it has 180,000 miles on th originl motor and is running strong, out of no were the turn signals stopped working and the hazzards work, wipers work, and hi beams work. Sometimes the turn signals will kick in half ways through the corner or not even turn on at all. my ranger is the 4-cyl and i tried to find the part at orieleys and they say it comes up as a different code.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals