• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coil bucket moving?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was trying to figure out why my Ranger is leaning towards the drivers side so bad and when I jacked up the truck with my floor jack I noticed the coil bucket is flexing. It goes down slightly when I raise the vehicle and it flexes up slightly when I lower it.

Has anyone ever heard of this? How can I fix this? Thanks.

Allen

TRUNK_MONKEY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Transmission
Automatic
I was trying to figure out why my Ranger is leaning towards the drivers side so bad and when I jacked up the truck with my floor jack I noticed the coil bucket is flexing. It goes down slightly when I raise the vehicle and it flexes up slightly when I lower it.

Has anyone ever heard of this? How can I fix this? Thanks.

Allen
ours rusted all the way thru.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Grind off the rivets to replace it with a new one (I think 7/16" bolts will work good to replace the rivets there).

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
i beleive 3/8" is closer to the rivit holse size. I know it is on the rear spring hangers and such. Or just drill the holes out to 1/2"

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK, thanks guys.

What causes this kind of problem?

I did run the Ranger hard through a \_/ shaped concrete wash/reservoir going about 30mph and that's when I noticed it.

Allen

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I find it a little hard to believe the rusted out thing on your ranger, especially in the area we live. It sounds more like when you ran through that concrete wash to possibly bent something, or maybe over stressed something.

TRUNK_MONKEY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Transmission
Automatic
I find it a little hard to believe the rusted out thing on your ranger, especially in the area we live. It sounds more like when you ran through that concrete wash to possibly bent something, or maybe over stressed something.
ours is my sons grandfather's old truck.we are the 2nd owners.it is very rusted,and hell,ha may have bashed it,but i dont know for sure.but it is rusty and in about 3 big pieces.i'll snag a pic or two for ya.
scott

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
They'll flex a little when new too, it's 3/16" metal holding up a few thousand lbs....The main cause of the 'ranger lean' is that the battery/driver/fuel tank are all on that side. Shim up the coils from underneith with a few large washers or some steel plate and then give'r hell..

-andrew

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, well if you read my posts I never said it rusted out. I said that the coil bucket is flexing.

My body lines are uneven as well and I'm actually under the thing right now trying to figure it out. The body lines from the bed to the cab are horrible, especially on the passenger side. The drivers side looks good and really does'nt need to be messed with. A measurement from the tire to the wheelwell in the rear is like 7-1/2" on the drivers side and like almost 9" on the passenger side.

It does'nt look like anything's bent though. Any other suggestions?

Allen

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
see above....^^^^ try and measure your coil height and make a spacer to take up the difference in height.

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check your body mounts. Sounds like it might be a problem.

And I have the opposite lean than typical in my ranger. It leans to the right, but I think I have a bad coil spring on that side. So Hardwareman, if you ever see a brown ranger romping around Apple Valley leaning to the right, it's me. At least till I get the chance to get some new front springs.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, well if you read my posts I never said it rusted out. I said that the coil bucket is flexing.

My body lines are uneven as well and I'm actually under the thing right now trying to figure it out. The body lines from the bed to the cab are horrible, especially on the passenger side. The drivers side looks good and really does'nt need to be messed with. A measurement from the tire to the wheelwell in the rear is like 7-1/2" on the drivers side and like almost 9" on the passenger side.

It does'nt look like anything's bent though. Any other suggestions?

Allen

my ranger body lines were messed up too. Its your mounts that the rubber bushings sit on..they are rusted out...grind the rivets off the old one and remove then replace.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Go to Ford and buy the coil buckets. They are cheap. I did mine last year and forget what they cost. The holes are 7/16 once the rivets are removed. I drilled mine out to 1/2 inch once the buckets were out, only because I bought that they were 1/2. They weren't that hard to do, but time consuming.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals