• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 ranger D28 passenger side axle

alyoko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 (09-85)
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
First off, just wanna mention that TRS is an awesome site - chock full of info and very useful tid-bits!!!

my question: I have an 1985 (09-1985) ranger 2.9L D28, she's 25 years old and it looks like the front-end has never been apart! I have had some growling/grinding noise when in manual hubs locked in - I suspected spindle bearings (which it was) I have decided to take the repair a little deeper and do the u-joints just for fun! Having one heck of a time separating the right axle shaft from the stub shaft (at the keystone clamp) Just moved into my house with a nice (read 24X24) garage but not "set-up" yet. Any tips/tricks would be very appreciated !!

atvkid4eva

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Manual
The passengers side axle is held inside the differential with a c-clip the only was to remove the entire shaft is to drop the diff and remove the c clip. and just an fyi the drivers side shaft does not have a c clip and will slide right out once the spindle is removed. it is possible to change the u joint with the axle still in the truck with the proper tools although it is a lot harder. hope this helps.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If it's a 2.9L (EFI engine), you likely have a 1986 model (check the 10th digit on the VIN #, should be "G" for '86)

Like atvkid mentioned, there's a circlip inside the diff holding the passengerside shaft in place.
However the two halves of the passengerside axle can be pulled apart at the slipyoke. It may be frozen with rust if it doesn't come apart easily.

Welcome to the site :beer:

alyoko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 (09-85)
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the quick answer!!!!

I was aware of the stub shaft being helt in the diff with the 'C' clip BUT I was under the impression that the outer half of the shaft would 'pull out' of stub at the keystone rubber boot? (although I may as well drop the front diff and rebuild ALL of the front end - parts just aint that cheap in CANADA lol)

atvkid4eva

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Manual
yeah it should just slip out of the yoke ive seen some of those boots get dry and require some force to seperate.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals