• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A little more power from your hella 500's

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So after running 4 hella 500's on the front of my truck all summer, i decided that i wanted even more illumination power. So i went on to the Hella website and started working my way through the accessories list, until i found the H83135312 upgrade kit. This is actually listed by Hella as a 100W H3 xenon bulb upgrade from the stock 55w H3 halogen bulbs. so i ordered them right away and got to work on them.

H83135312 Xenon upgrade kit and hella 500

There is just one Phillips screw to remove and the glass/metal beam enclosure can be removed from the housing. fold the tab down, and pull the light out from the bottom first, there is a retaining tab in the top of the housing which holds the enclosure in along with the tab at the bottom.

Remove the enclosure from the housing, exposing the two connections and the back of your H3 bulb.

Remove both connections from your stock H3 bulb, Then take a look at the tab which retains the H3 in the metal/glass enclosure. Press down and in on the tab and the tab will free itself from the bulb. Pull up on the tab and you can remove the bulb from the housing.

this photo shows the stock bulb next to the xenon bulb. Install the Xenon bulb in the opposite order that you took it out of the metal beam enclosure. Remember not to touch the glass portion of your new bulb as you do this.

Next, you will need to re-seal your Hella's to prevent fog ups from moisture getting in. Get your hands on a tube of Silicone.

Start your bead of silicone right along the seam of the glass/metal on your beam enclosure, make sure to go the whole way around the enclosure.

Now sandwich the beam enclosure back into the housing, make sure the top goes in first, so it seats properly, then flip the tab back up and re-insert the Phillips screw into the tab, which will push some of the silicone out from between the housing and the enclosure. Simply wipe away this residue with a paper towel, keep some rubbing alcohol near by if for some reason you get some on the glass, if you treat it right away it will come off easy.

Then enjoy the light! its not as intense of a beam as the HID conversion will give you, but then again this is a simple operation which will net you a slightly more potent light. I found it worth the $30 price tag. :icon_thumby:

A few pic's. Note: My light bar has 2 different sets of hellas. the inside lenses in these shots are 500 FF's which at the time had the stock 55w bulbs in them, the outside beams are comet 500's (older style) which had the 100w xenon bulbs in them. These pic's were taken at twilight, so you will have to pay close attention to the intensity of the beam and the slight color difference between the halogen and xenon beams, as the photos do this no justice.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
You can get those bulbs at most auto part stores as well. Just plain old 100w H3 bulbs.

Looks good though.

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You can get those bulbs at most auto part stores as well. Just plain old 100w H3 bulbs.

Looks good though.
Ya, they usually sell the 100w xenon at advanced and usually auto zone as well, i actually ordered mine at summit because there is not a heck of a lot around where i live. i was actually kind of disappointed with them when i first lit them up, i figured xenon would have a bit more of a change in color than they had, but that all changed when i got down my first two-track at night. They are quite a bit more noticeable when you get them out in the woods.

machine090767

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton V8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Perfection is worth the wait
a complete write up on how to open, remove and replace a bulb? whats next? a "how to" on removing the gas cap?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
a complete write up on how to open, remove and replace a bulb? whats next? a "how to" on removing the gas cap?
No-one likes a smartass, if you don't have something to contribute that is worth a damn, don't post...

EERNGER, have you thought about putting HID's into them? I can't remember who, but there was a guy with a b2 I think, who put HID's into his Hella 500's and the results were fantastic IMO... maybe he'll chime in.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
No-one likes a smartass, if you don't have something to contribute that is worth a damn, don't post...

EERNGER, have you thought about putting HID's into them? I can't remember who, but there was a guy with a b2 I think, who put HID's into his Hella 500's and the results were fantastic IMO... maybe he'll chime in.
Wasn't that smoke eater or something? But yeah he swapped out HID's and it was like WOW!

What type of light beams are those? I know I LOVE my long range lights. :D

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
eh man, gimme a break. i just took this from a "how to:" write up i did on another forum. im thinking the entire point of a forum is to spread information on topics that people are interested in, and not everyone is at the same level of expertise on everything. Word of advise, if the thread is something your not interested in or already know how to do, don't post...just keep on mowin' through the threads until you find somethin. :icon_thumby:

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

Ya, i looked into it and instantly thought it was too much work. However, hindsight being what it is, it really isnt as intimidating as it looked to me before, and i kinda wish i would have picked up a pair of HID's instead of going for xenon bulbs, and i am about 99% sure that my hellas will be converted to HID's before its all said and done. I am happy with my bulbs, and for the price i paid they are a good deal, but the 100w thing takes a toll on the electrical system, and its not a heck of a lot brighter than halogen. oh well, if everyone got everything right the first time, life would be no fun. :icon_bounceblue:

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ya, i looked into it and instantly thought it was too much work. However, hindsight being what it is, it really isnt as intimidating as it looked to me before, and i kinda wish i would have picked up a pair of HID's instead of going for xenon bulbs, and i am about 99% sure that my hellas will be converted to HID's before its all said and done. I am happy with my bulbs, and for the price i paid they are a good deal, but the 100w thing takes a toll on the electrical system, and its not a heck of a lot brighter than halogen. oh well, if everyone got everything right the first time, life would be no fun. :icon_bounceblue:
Exactly, lol. If it were me, I'd also upgrade all the wiring to at least 12ga if you go to HID's... heck, I'd even go to 12ga right now if I was you...

JM2C

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
eh man, gimme a break. i just took this from a "how to:" write up i did on another forum. im thinking the entire point of a forum is to spread information on topics that people are interested in, and not everyone is at the same level of expertise on everything. Word of advise, if the thread is something your not interested in or already know how to do, don't post...just keep on mowin' through the threads until you find somethin. :icon_thumby:
its a good thread i didn't even know that u could put 100 watt bulbs in those

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Exactly, lol. If it were me, I'd also upgrade all the wiring to at least 12ga if you go to HID's... heck, I'd even go to 12ga right now if I was you...

JM2C
Definitely, i am quite partial to 12 ga. :headbang:

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
its a good thread i didn't even know that u could put 100 watt bulbs in those
Thanks man, and that was the reason i decide to write on it. I had come across so many write ups on sites which deemed the 500 not able to run over 55w bulbs in them, and then i came across a few comments here and there which said you could run higher. The big booster for me was finding the link on the hella website deeming the 100W xenon as a suggested upgrade for the 500, after i found that, i knew i should do some sort of write up on it. even though i now want to go xenon :headbang:

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i don't understand why someone would even say this???

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you are running 100W bulbs I have found you can get a bit more light by rewiring them with better connectors than the kit came with and better relays. The voltage drop on 100w bulbs with kit wiring is pretty bad.

If you aren't good at wiring, www.easternbeaver.com sells AWESOME harnesses pre made with top notch stuff. He is mostly for motorcycles however his dual H4 harness can easily be used for foglamps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals