• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shiftster + 4WD lights

94firstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think I am going to get a Shiftster for my '94 4x4. The motor makes me nervous and this will hold me over until I swap in an actual 1354M. Looks like Advanced Adapters sells them.

Question for those with one - if I use the Shiftster to engage 4H or 4L, will the dash lights come on, or is that dictated by the motor?

Thanks!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The dash lights will not work. Since the motor contains the contacts for position indication and you will be removing the motor, then, neither the 4x4 module nor the dash lights will know what position the transfer case is in.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

94firstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The dash lights will not work. Since the motor contains the contacts for position indication and you will be removing the motor, then, neither the 4x4 module nor the dash lights will know what position the transfer case is in.

Got it, thanks for the response. It is my understanding that the t-case module is separate from the PCM, so aside from lights, I won't see any odd behavior, right? I have manual hubs, so I can lock.unlock by hand.

Thanks!

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
It shouldn't affect anything but your 4x4 system. I would recommend pulling the fuse for the 4x4 module. Also, after removing the motor, I would try to wrap and seal the electrical connector so it doesn't get full of dirt and corrosion while hanging down there near all sorts of dirt/ water/ road salt / etc. Secure it somewhere out if the way.

94firstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks again for the response and good call on the fuse.

One more question - I see the instructions on AA's site state to shift to neutral, turn off engine, rotate Shiftster to desired position, then, start engine and shift into drive.

I have an automatic (for now). With the motor, I usually shift to N, engage 4x4, get out and lock hubs, shift into drive and go. Is the instruction to turn off the engine a safety precaution, or is it required when using the Shiftster?

Thanks!

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Purely safety related. I'm sure you don't really want to crawl under your running truck and fiddle with something that engages engine movement to driveshafts and axles. There are no switches or wires on the shiftster. It is purely manual and purely mechanical. It does not interact with your transmission or ECU in any way. All safety measures are your brains responsibility. If you must mess with it on unlevel or uneven ground, be sure to chock the wheels to prevent the vehicle from moving.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Thanks again for the response and good call on the fuse.

One more question - I see the instructions on AA's site state to shift to neutral, turn off engine, rotate Shiftster to desired position, then, start engine and shift into drive.

I have an automatic (for now). With the motor, I usually shift to N, engage 4x4, get out and lock hubs, shift into drive and go. Is the instruction to turn off the engine a safety precaution, or is it required when using the Shiftster?

Thanks!
This is good to know! Possibly the guy that builds them finds it safer to Market them through a company like Advanced adapters instead of himself.

I had a thread about using a flexible shaft and or using the shiftster as part of the idea so a person doesn't have to crawl under the truck,

So far the only thing I've done in this area is to determine that the gear from the old electric shift motor can have a set screw drilled into its hub and mounted on the shaft of the transfer case. haven't figured out the indexing and or flexible shaft part yet LOL

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals