• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger 4wd stopped working

Tom_G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Aloha all!

I haven't had the need to use 4WD in a couple of years. Right now, we're in the middle of tropical storm Olivia. Tons of rain, wind, lots of standing water on the streets. Great time to switch on 4W high, right?

I locked the hubs (yes, I replaced the hubs with manual lockers years ago.) Switched the switch to 4WD High. Nothing happened. No lights came on. I thought it might just need a minute, so went ahead and started driving. Then both the 4WD HIGH and 4WD LOW indicators flashed at me about 5-6 times, and went dark. I played with the switch a couple of times, putting it back to 2WD, and even taking advantage of a stoplight to try getting into 4WD low. Nothing I did made any difference, so I finally just left the switch in 2WD. For the rest of the drive, though, both warning indicators would periodically flash a few times.

Thoughts?

Mahalo!
Tom G

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Most likely the transfer selector motor is frozen up from not being used.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Yep, sounds like it got stuck between positions so the GEM isn't getting feedback from the touch drive sensors to know what position it's in now. I'd pull the motor and get everything moving smoothly.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

+1 to Dirtman's post, tap on the shift motor with a hammer, that might free up the motors brushes.

When an electric motor sits for long periods the Brushes that pass voltage to the Rotor can stick, so when you try to use the motor it doesn't get 12volts or ground.

Flashing 4WD lights means the 4x4 Controller is working, but when it sent 12volts and Ground to the shift motor it didn't move, or stopped moving.

Inside the shift motor is a Contact Wheel, the Controller monitors the contacts, so it always "knows" what position transfer case is in, 2WD, 4Hi or 4Low
When Controller sends voltage to the motor it will see contacts change, if it doesn't then it Flashes 4WD lights to indicate the problem

Pictures here of shift motor: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-rebuild-4x4-shift-motor.123542/

Best practice is to shift into 4hi and 4low then back to 2WD once a month, just sitting in the driveway, don't have to lock the hubs or drive, you are just cleaning the brushes and rotor for future use

Last edited:

Tom_G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the suggestions and pointers! Wouldn't you know it, when I got in the truck to go home after work, the switch worked. I'll make a point of engaging both 4WD high and 4WD low daily for a little while to try and get the vapors out of that transfer motor, then make sure to do that every couple of weeks from now on.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals