• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

31 spline swap brake lines

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.9L Inline 4 Cylinder Cummins 4BT
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
So I just finished an explorer 8.8 swap in my ranger, and the rubber line on the axle won't quite reach up to my hard line on the frame and still mount to the frame using the factory bracket.

I rigged it by bending the hard line around the bracket, but ideally I'd like to get an extension and so it right. Does anyone make a brake line extension for this purpose?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Would the hose from an Explorer be longer? Trouble at the parts stores every time you go in, they only want to know which vehicle you're talking about. so you can't go look on the shelf and find one that's longer.

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
I am using the original lines that were already on the explorer axle, and it's too short. Ideally I'd just find an extension to use at the end of this soft line. Otherwise I'll have to replace more lines since the soft line is pressed in at the other end where it attaches to the distribution block.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
When I did my swap I used the I used passenger side soft line on the driver's side and cut and flared the hard line on top of the pumpkin so I could use the ranger distribution block and line. Took a few minutes but looks just like the 7.5 set up.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that, it fits well, use two passenger side soft lines and the ranger center drop line, much better setup.

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
What do you mean by passenger side soft lines? My original 28 spline 8.8 had all hard lines on the axle straight to the drums, and one soft line to reach up to the frame.

The new axle is the same setup with the exception of two very short soft lines on either side that actually connect to the brakes.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

shr3dd3r 09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inches
Tire Size
33X11.5X16 (285/75R16)
Is that all that is needed? Do the two soft lines run all the way from the distribution block to the brakes? Or is there cutting and flaring of the original hard lines involved?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The stock Explorer drivers side soft line mounts to the caliper then has two soft lines, one goes to the frame then the other goes to the hard line that goes to the passenger side. Ditch that hose and use the same part that is on the passenger side going from the caliper to the hard line on the axle. Mount the Ranger "distribution block" to the top of the axle (hole is there for a 8mm bolt), cut the hard line where needed then add two new flare nuts and flare the hard line, looks near factory and works great.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Is that all that is needed? Do the two soft lines run all the way from the distribution block to the brakes? Or is there cutting and flaring of the original hard lines involved?
They are only about 6 inches long. You will need hard lines. IIRC I did not have to cut or flare anything. My original hard lines were in bad shape, and I replaced them, but there were pre-made lengths of an appropriate size available at my local parts store. I may have had to shorten one piece, but that was almost 7 years ago, so I really don't remember all the details. I mostly remember trying to put my brake lines together in the dark, in a garage with no electricity, using my flip phone as a flashlight.

Two years ago when I did a frame off I replaced all my lines, and at that time I did but a roll and flare my own, but that is a different story.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The stock Explorer drivers side soft line mounts to the caliper then has two soft lines, one goes to the frame then the other goes to the hard line that goes to the passenger side. Ditch that hose and use the same part that is on the passenger side going from the caliper to the hard line on the axle. Mount the Ranger "distribution block" to the top of the axle (hole is there for a 8mm bolt), cut the hard line where needed then add two new flare nuts and flare the hard line, looks near factory and works great.
Mine worked out so that I was able to drill my factory lift blocks and bolt the inner ends of the hoses, where there is a hole for a retaining bolt, down to the block so I didn't have my lines flapping around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals