• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing the Serpentine Belt Tensioner

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone done this? Does anyone know how it's done?

After REMOVING my heater fan and re-installing my supercharger, I had my saintly father-in-law evaluate the pulley alignment. He thinks my tensioner needs replacing. I've never done this before, so I was hoping someone here could give me some advice.

Thanks!

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
remove serpentine belt, after making sure you know how it goes on the engine. (3/8 rachet or breaker bar in the center hole of the pulley, lever the pulley back, slip belt off) remove the bolt at the center pivot arm (where it pivots on the mount of the engine) replace it.

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hopefully you have more front-end clearance than my 5.0 does haha. My belt is a BITCH to get on and off, and even after I get it almost on I have to come up with another 1/2" of nonexistent slack to clear the tensioner. Needless to say, both times I've done it in the last four years I've hated it.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
remove serpentine belt, after making sure you know how it goes on the engine. (3/8 rachet or breaker bar in the center hole of the pulley, lever the pulley back, slip belt off) remove the bolt at the center pivot arm (where it pivots on the mount of the engine) replace it.

I've swapped the belt many times, so pulling it off isn't a problem. My belt tensioner has some kind of star-shaped hole in the center--there is no standard bolt head there. Also, I suspect that the tensioner has to be installed a certain way, but there's an awful lot of corrosion down there!

I don't like taking my truck to the dealer, but I don't actually OWN the tool to take the tensioner off. I can easily wiggle its pulley back and forth. That can't be good!

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pulley is available seperately, ~$18 everywhere. One bolt, not difficult. Putting the belt back on is harder, IMO.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The tensioner is held on by a T-50 torx bolt. On my '94, the back is keyed so that you cannot install it incorrectly.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The tensioner is held on by a T-50 torx bolt. On my '94, the back is keyed so that you cannot install it incorrectly.
Ok, THAT was easy! I got the whole tensioner assembly from Lordco for $70 and it took less than 10 minutes to install . . .

So, everything is back together again and my truck is now "on road." I don't have a heater fan, and I'm STILL not confident about pulley alignment, but it's clearly better than it was before.

My saintly father-in-law is coming over for Easter dinner on Sunday. I'll have him look at it and see what HE thinks.

By the way, there is absolutely NO room for a heater fan in the stock location.

wcurtin1962

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info about the T-50 Torx bolt. As far as being easy to replace, not so much!

Irokranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
good info for this thread I didnt know how to remove it ...also,could be 13 mm socket

Last edited:

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i bought a t50 and t55... t55 for bed... least now i know t50 has a purpose haha. i got some squeekin during cold starts so gonna replace these... hopefully it gets rid of it with new belt tensioner and idler pulley. so your supercharger ate up all your room? im gonna do a body lift just so my v8 swap goes a bit easier or so i hear some say.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals