• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to: Fix sticky/seized manual door lock

aaronhahn777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 supercharged
Transmission
Automatic
My ranger's door locks have been getting worse and worse over time. I had to sometimes jiggle the key in the lock for 2-3 minutes before I was able to successfully unlock my vehicle. Then, they stopped working all together. This is a tutorial on how to get your locks back to new condition

TOOLS REQUIRED:
-flat head screwdriver
-torx screwdriver
-phillips screwdriver

PRODUCTS/MATERIALS REQUIRED
-ultra-fine graphite lubricant
-CLR (that Calcium Lime Rust cleaner from Canadian Tire/Lowe's/etc)
-Alcohol (Isopropyl)

Repair Attempts:

(1) Lubrication
First I assumed that it was because the lock needed lubrication. As suggested on this site and other sources, I used a ultra-fine graphite lubricant powder. Didn't Work.

(2) New Key
Since lubrication didn't work, I assumed it was my worn out key (other suggestions on this site). I went to ford and got a new key cut using my VIN#. They charge about $10-15 for the code lookup and then they will charge you for a new key/fob/etc. This didn't work.

Solution:

After exhausting many attempts, this is what I did and I am a very happy camper!
(1) Remove the door lock cylinders. (remove 3 screws in plastic door panel, pop/swing window crank & remove torx screw, pull the panel assembly upwards & off, peel back vapour barrier, pull lock retaining clip from the outside of the metal door body, pop the plastic clip off the lock lever, pull door cylinder).

(2) Before removing the cam on off the cylinder, take note of how the cylinder is situated. Notice the drain hole is at the bottom and the cam always faces the door mechanism (faces to the rear of the vehicle). Take a marker and mark a P or D (for passenger/driver side) on the plastic part so you know which is which. Although they are identical, this will enable you to switch the cylinders during re-installation (the passenger side will be much less worn due to the excessive use on the driver side).

(3) Pop off retaining the cam retaining clip. Safely store the loose pieces where you will not loose them.

(4) Take a glass jar and pour ~2 inches of CLR (Calcium Lime Rust cleaner). Drop the cylinders in there for about an hour. You will notice lots of bubbles. This is normal. CLR will dissolve only the calcium lime and rust. So the more bubbles, the better (it will not dissolve your door lock).

note: When using the CLR, I found that wedging a wooden BBQ skewer into the lock opening worked well. The allowed me to keep dipping the lock into the liquid while holding the flip flap open.

Warning: The vapours from the bubble are not good for you to breath. Use common sense and keep your nose away. Also, you may want to use gloves. CLR can be sensitive to the skin and eyes.

(5) Once the cylinders are pretty clean. Start cycling your lock with the key. I found it difficult at first, but then I started working like butter!

(6) Remove the cylinder and dry it off as best as you can with a paper towel.

(7) Dump the jar of CLR down the sink (this is okay for septic systems as well). Now refill the jar with about 2 inches of alcohol. Drop the cylinders into the alcohol and mix around for a few minutes. This ensures that the CLR is getting flushed out of the lock and hopefully only a clean lock will remain.

(8) Use tin foil or an old cooking pan. Place your alcohol-wetted lock into the oven and bake for ~10 minutes. Alcohol evaporates quickly so this will ensure that the lock is absolutely dry and clean.

(9) Remove/cool your locks. Now take the graphite lubricant and dump it into your lock. Cycle the key again several times. You may want to dump some lubricant into the bottom drain hole as well. Shake out excess lube once it is sufficiently lubricated.

(10) Now re-install the door locks (probably want a new rubber gasket... I used a rubber o-ring). I recommend switching the driver side with the passenger’s side. The passenger side is probably in much better shape.

(11) Enjoy your new Locks

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice write up. I moved the thread to tech submissions with a one week re-direct.

Richard

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Nice...except I'm wondering if this is model year specific. Sounds like they are a bit more complicated than my 88 locks because I don't recall having to worry about what side they went in...the key actually fits both ways...

If you could clarify that (if needed) and maybe check the spelling and grammar you probably have a Premium Membership in your future...but that is for the Mods or Jim to decide...based on acceptance of the article...:icon_thumby:

aaronhahn777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 supercharged
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Mark. These door locks can probably go back in either way too... the reason I suggested marking them is so that you can swap the passenger/driver side. that way you have put the one with less use back into the driver side. :)

aaronhahn777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 supercharged
Transmission
Automatic
...or you could save yourself the commute and do it yourself in 20 minutes. Not to mentions save $$$. If this was a complex car with difficult access etc or a complex lock mechanism... I would X2. But that is not the case with ranger. It's like a few screws and the whole door panel lifts out. The lock is about the simplest flip lock I have ever seen in my life.

We blog on sites like this so we can save $$ and or customize what we already have. If you have some "professional advice" to add... please provide.

FYI. If I have something more complex... I'll bring it to Locksmith Vaughan (Ontario):icon_thumby:

bjurke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
there one thing you can try. i had this problem with a 2002,2010 but not with a 1989 rangers that i have had. the lock is not well sealed and allows dirt and dust to build up and then your lock to slowly seize up. i flush the lock out with a non graphite lubricant ideally with silicone. you don't want to use one that foams. insert the tube to the very back of lock and spray until it comes out front of lock. it will take a few tries. not sure if it will work on locks that are totally seized. never let mine get that bad

bcbrogan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
removing door lock cylinder

Thank you Aaronhahn777 for the tip and instructions on freeing up the door lock cylinders. On my 1999 Ranger however there is no need remove the door interior panel to access the door lock cylinder. There is a black metal clip on the inside of the door jamb that slides out (even has a curved end to get a finer grip) and you can then pull the lock cylinder assembly forward. You have to twist and turn the cylinder assembly some and pull the bent rod to which it is attached out of the cylinder hole in the door and in removing the plastic connector at the back of the cylinder from the bent rod you do want to be careful the bent rod does not fall back into the door, otherwise, do proceed with removing the interior panel to re-elevate the bent rod:icon_twisted:

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2010 Door lock cylinder refresh

Excellent write up !

I followed general procedure and appears to have been a success !

Wanted to note a few things of significance...

2010 model now. Had similar issues with other Ford's so nice to know this is a brand-wide fix. I checked into replacement cylinders, decided to try this first. Different part #'s on 2006-11 models. Driver/Passenger are non-interchangeable (color coded black=L, white =R) . Like a DA, I tried the wrong way first ! Take a closer look at your parts !

I used the same solvents in order. Soaked a little longer, used a heat gun after a long drip dry. Kudos to the OP. I will report further.

My conditions of this lock issue is not too big in normal weather. 20 Fahrenheit and below, I need a blow torch. Below 20 after a warm day of rain, worked great !

Mike Tonon

I was having a problem with mine freezing. I kept using wd-40 but it never lasted. Then someone on Scotty Kilmer video comments, told me that I probably pushed all of the factory grease out and needed to replace it. So I had this tube of something like PTFE Motorcraft grease. I worked a ton of that in there and no more freezing.

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Please update over time. I'll do the same !. Wanted to mention my truck is a former fleet vehicle, valuable equipment often stored inside relating to communications trade. No power locks/key fob...140k of field use will take it's toll on manually operated locks.

Had the truck in the dealership Jan 2019 for the air bag recall. Had an estimate for the drivers door Lock alone that made me (____ fill in the blanks).

If anyone knows of the majic potion, let us know !!! (if the ford dealer has it, it will be likely available after-market), chime in with the product/part #...years of de-icer, WD-40, silicone, grahite, etc...you may not know what's been in there. Had excellent results from great advice on this site. Can only hope to return the favor to others.

Best luck !

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have used a product called "lock-ez" or something similar, works pretty good.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Thanks to this thread, I can get into the truck without jiggling the key in the lock for five minutes while reciting incantations over my left shoulder. It's the small things in life...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Mark. These door locks can probably go back in either way too... the reason I suggested marking them is so that you can swap the passenger/driver side. that way you have put the one with less use back into the driver side. :)
At least on the older trucks they are side to side specific. The lever on the back is backwards from one to the other so there is a left and a right cylinder.

Newer ones are probably similar.

Thanks to this thread, I can get into the truck without jiggling the key in the lock for five minutes while reciting incantations over my left shoulder. It's the small things in life...
I replaced the cylinders in mine after 20 years of not being able to unlock the DS with a key. That was a really nice "upgrade"

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The locks never gave me a second's trouble while the truck was running. I had to get it towed from my exes house and met the driver there, only to be unable to get into it and reach the registration. He was understandably skeptical about towing it without proof of ownership. My dad dug out the registration at home and brought it by while I crawled underneath and disconnected the trans cable to shift it into neutral. At least the parking brake wasn't set.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I have this problem on my late-Father’s truck. WD-40 didn’t help. Will try this fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals