• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Proper Fluid for EARLY (Box) P/S systems

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
For Ranger Bronco2 and explorers with a steering box:

Yes, it's ATF, but NOT Dexron/Mercon.

Type F is "the Right Stuff"

AD

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Anything w/ a steering box. 98+ Rangers and 95+ Explorers use a rack and pinion.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
1996 and 1997 Ranger does specify Mercon ATF Allan (I don't have a 1995 manual to verify if '95 does also).

1994down is all Type-F though.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Up to 95 uses ATF Type F. 96+ uses Mercon ATF.

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
Is it NECESSARY to use ATF in 98 ranger? Can I use PS fluid? Will it harm anything?

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, and I thought it was the same as the transmission. I wonder if running Mercon V will hamper the operation in any ill manner.

3BlindMice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4
Transmission
Manual
PS Fluid

All I can tell you is that when I had my timing belt replaced by a local shop that "specialized" in Rangers, I developed a PS pump whine soon after. When I spoke to the mech that did the work, he said that they had removed the PS pump to do the job and refilled it. :icon_confused: Sooooooo, on a hunch, I drained it myself and refilled with good ol' Type F and worked what little air out there was.. A week or so later, the whine was gone and I have put 80,000 on it since then. As for the timing belt - It broke at 162,000 miles :icon_surprised: (I know) and I didn't have the time to change it due to my job at the time.

matencio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it weren't for the bad stuff happenig, there'd be nothing good to look forward to.
Just bought a 96 XLT with PS leaks - help

I bought a 1996 Ford Ranger yesterday for $500.00. The only thing I can tell is wrong with it is the power steering leaks a lot of fluid. It sat for 1 1/2 years. Two questions:
1. I used Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak - anyone know if it's going to really work?
2. How hard is it to change a power steering pump?
Thanks

GabrielBR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Up to 95 uses ATF Type F. 96+ uses Mercon ATF.
I have a 95 ranger, and I don't have the owners manual.

So, my question is: Is that the correct oil especification for the 95 ranger?

Just because I think there's no diference between the 95 and the 96+ pump.

Last edited:

Mike Tonon

I bought a 1996 Ford Ranger yesterday for $500.00. The only thing I can tell is wrong with it is the power steering leaks a lot of fluid. It sat for 1 1/2 years. Two questions:
1. I used Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak - anyone know if it's going to really work?
Thanks
Back about 15 years ago, my 87 Ranger had a slow power steering leak. I changed out the fluid with type F and put in stop leak, not sure what the brand was. But within a month, the leak seemed like it was completely gone and the pump was even quieter.

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 95 ranger, and I don't have the owners manual.

So, my question is: Is that the correct oil especification for the 95 ranger?

Just because I think there's no diference between the 95 and the 96+ pump.

I have a 1995 Ranger with 4.0 I Just did the replacement of my pump/steering gear use Motorcraft ATF type "F"

pintobobster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought a 96 XLT with PS leaks - help

Thanks

Just did mine, remove belt pulley first, I took serpentine belt off before some people say leave it on? (use the tool OTC 4530 or OEM 27031), take off three bolts holding pump to bracket, pulling out down the out the top, replace with new pump, replace three bolts back on, use same tool put belt pulley back on, (I used anti-cease on pump pulley shaft) put belt back on your done,
now important part
#1,
first drain old pump, I used turkey baster, then pulled return hose, used plug cap that came with new pump, it is the line held on by clamp on bottom back of pump not the threaded line on the side of pump,
#2,
do not re-use old fluid.
#3,
get a good power steering filter, I used the 20-0038F Power Steering Filter connect that on the return line before the pump.
#4,
pour new ATF type "F" fluid into the pump to the correct fill line on stick
#5,
put cap on start engine turn steering wheel 1/4 left from center, then 1/4 right from center.
turn engine off check fluid on marking on small dipstick, fill if needed.
start engine do same as above turn off engine,
check fluid again.
if all is at full mark, start truck turn wheel full left and then full right,
check fluid again,
if still full then start engine move wheel full left and full right then let engine idle as you turn wheel 5 times each way left/right to warm up fluid and all the while listening for whining if any coming from the pump, turn of engine pull dip stick check for air bubbles in fluid (should be none),
check for leaks.
all done job completed,
also on the threaded line to the pump make sure the white Teflon gasket has no cracks or is missing, (there should be one with your new pump as mine came with one) but double check to make sure you have one just in case.
torque all bolts to spec, and do not over tighten the threaded connector to pump.
there are many Videos on youtube.com also,
its not that hard, I would say start to finish in the driveway or garage, about 2 1/2 hours max.

Good Luck

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
What's sold as "power steering" fluid is the same spec as Mercon III, as is the overpriced "transfer case" fluid Motorcraft sells now. When Merc V came out we were told never to mix it with Mercon III, then Ford's copyright on the name "Mercon III" expired and it became acceptable to use Mercon V in everything that used Mercon III except transfer cases. I read the specs on the transfer case fluid bottle to see what made it worth $12 a quart retail- the answer was-nothing. Prior to the late 70's we had one transmission fluid, type F, then Ford introduced type CJ that turned out to be the same as GM Dexron and that evolved into Mercon III. If we put "F" in a transmission that called for CJ it created a firm to harsh shift, CJ in an F transmission would cause a soft shift. Back before electronic solenoids controlling shifts a soft shift meant slippage. I use Mercon III spec in all my power steering pumps and T5 transmissions and it doesn't cause steering whine. Air that needs to be purged causes whine. Mercon V isn't slippery enough for power steering fluid. At least until Ford changes it's mind again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals