• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D60 and 14b build

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've been working alot lately on my build, so I thought it was about time to post some pics.

It's a D60 from a 91 F350. I bought the whole truck as a dually for $800, took out the axle and sold it as is for $800. So the 60 was free, and the 14 bolt was $200 at the junkyard. Both have 4.10's. Scored when I found out that both also had recent brake jobs.

If people are wondering why I used a gm axle, it's because of a few reasons. The width was good, bolt pattern matched, and it's stupid strong even in stock form. Not to mention, their dirt cheap and common as a bellybutton.

I relocated the perches on the 14b to match the rear leafs on my '93. That was no problem, but I also found out that I needed to trim the gas tank skidplate a bit a bit because it was very close to the pumpkin. I'll also be adding some 6" skyjacker leafs in addition to the belltech shackles.

For the front, I'm using these brackets from ballistic fabrication. They look real nice, and I'll easily be able to modify one of them to fit on the driver's side beam between the pumpkin and the knuckle. It's pretty tight, but I should be able to make it happen by moving the upper buckets outward on the frame a bit as well. Also waiting for some Cage radius arms to tie the axle in.

I'm still undecided on the coils, but I'd like to get the brackets burned on and the rear installed so I can estimate what the ride height is going to be. The axles are staying fullwidth, and I've got a set of Bushwacker cut-outs to top it all off. Hoping to end up with somewhere around 38's.

Had to sneak a pic of the can-am in there! :icon_cheers:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you aint kidding about GM axles being cheap, I just picked one up for the Suburban with 4.10's for $75............. looking for either a dodge or a GM Dana 60 with 4.10's.

good luck with your project.

Cameron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Zuk + Chevy + T
Transmission
Automatic
I have the same front rad arm/coil mounts and I love them!! I think they are awesome!!

Build looks good, ready to see it on wheels.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 14 bolt Full floater is far stronger than a 60 rear, even stronger than a 70 in my opinion. The parts are easy to get and cheap.
They are designed after a ford 9" just bigger and with a removeable cover. The pinion has three bearings which is a huge benefit.
It is also the only chevy part I won't get mad at people for using on a Ford.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I'm also using the flat bottom link/coil mounts from Ballistic.

Looks good so far.
:icon_cheers:

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm also using the flat bottom link/coil mounts from Ballistic.

Looks good so far.
:icon_cheers:
Yeah, they're sweet. Saved a ton of work. I wish I could have struck a better bead on them though. The mig has been pissing me off lately, but I found today that the ground clamp wire was all messed up. Caused it to weld really erratic and mess up right in the middle of a weld. Oh well, at least I'll be able to weld them on the axle properly. :icon_twisted:

Any suggestions for coils? I've been considering some 5.5" EB springs, but I'm not sure if that will match the rear. At this point I haven't really looked into them much though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the 4.5 crawler coils from wildhorses will net about 6-7" lift, give or take when stock... or so im told.

Cameron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Zuk + Chevy + T
Transmission
Automatic
I am using 3 inch TJ coils on mine, but mine is a lot lighter as well. Same 5.5" diameter. I believe they are 180 lb/in

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the wildhorses are 200lbs per inch to 375 lbs per inch 10%. Ive heard the flex really well, and they arent too stiff... i bought a set of TJ springs 175lbs.... will flex insane probably, but theyre stupidly soft.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That looks like a 3/4-ton 14-bolt, by the way. The one-ton has 3.5" wide rear brakes and the 3/4 has 2.5" wide. That's the only difference. I think a real Detroit Locker (Trac-Teck No-Spin) can be installed without changing the carrier--no gear set-up.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Didn't even know there was a difference. I plan on doing a disc conversion sometime down the road anyways.

I had some time to lathe the dually hubs down to work as srw hubs this afternoon.

:cool:

Last edited:

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think a real Detroit Locker (Trac-Teck No-Spin) can be installed without changing the carrier--no gear set-up.
Yeah, ain't that crazy?!

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Got the rest of the 14 bolt together yesterday. New bearings and seals. Also picked up the FR36 skyjacker leafs and had a chance to put them in. I should have time to put the rear in tomorrow and get some pics up. I'm told the cage radius arms are at the border going through customs, so it should only be a few more days before I can start buttoning up the front. :icon_welder:

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, you're using Cage radius arms? I thought maybe you were going to use a Link setup similar to what FireZapper (Ed) used on his Explorer.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I considered using some type of link setup but the truck is also my DD and there's really no need to do that at this point. I don't really need the extra benefits of the links over the radius arms. A well designed radius arm setup should work quite well anyways.

I had a hard time justifying spending $725 on a set of radius arms, but if you think about the cost of a high quality rod end x 8 + tubing and brackets, it's not that far off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals