• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 A4LD shift kit

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
im thinking about putting a a shift kit in my ranger. just wondering on how hard this is to do because this is my first auto trans. and dont have the money to wreck it. also is it worth it or is it just a go fast thing.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I am going to attempt to put in a mustang shift unit into my truck and replaceing the 60/40 split with buckets. Now with that said it never entered my mind to go all out with a full shift kit for I figured the stang would do what i needed to do. I will be just getting the parts from wreckers. cheaper that way. I was looking thru this forum for info when i came across your post. so if anyone can chime in about using stang shifters on the floor/ or other cars linkages to what has worked best please give the info. thanks

#1 U.S.A.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
there is a good kit by a company called "shift", it has a new valve, spring and pintel for the modulator valve and govenor valve springs and 3 valve body springs that will make it better but u will have to drill the valve body to release the extra pressure... i did it to mine but it didnt work cause my valve body is warped :(

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
can u post a link for the kit. dont have much time on the net recently. thanks

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I installed a TransGo kit in my 91 about 5 years ago now. It was pretty straight forward, just follow the instructions. You have to drill 1 hole, and replace a bunch of the springs in the valves and the servo. A4LD-JR is the part number for the transgo kit.

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I installed a TransGo kit in my 91 about 5 years ago now. It was pretty straight forward, just follow the instructions. You have to drill 1 hole, and replace a bunch of the springs in the valves and the servo. A4LD-JR is the part number for the transgo kit.
hey man what kind of difference did you see out of the kit. just curious i've thought about doing the same to mine.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Firmer more positive shifts, and quick down shifts. Overall much better shift quality.

Manually shifting it under WOT I could chirp the tires into 2nd (with my 31's, not my 36's)

#1 U.S.A.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
shift kits are the shit!!i recommend to all.. trans go is a ok one and so is the shift one..
A4LD Shift Correction Kit
Part# 27C01
$64.00
Click image to view contents
This valve body kit fixes these problems:

Late shifts
Weak shifts
Delayed reverse
3rd clutch failure
2-3 flair
4-3 flair
Increase lube
This Superior kit includes 20 return springs for the reverse high clutch drum, which are many times found flattened due to heat. These springs, as are all Superior springs, are "Stress Relieved." This kit supplies a governor anti-stick spring. The KA4LD kit changes out the stock aluminum modulator valve with a special Superior design steel valve. It features an added cleaning groove to deal with the very common sticking problems. This kit also offers shift feel options.

#1 U.S.A.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
/Users/gersongonzalez/Desktop/a4ldxray.gif
A4LD Shift Correction Kit
Part# 27C01
$64.00
Click image to view contents
This valve body kit fixes these problems:

Late shifts
Weak shifts
Delayed reverse
3rd clutch failure
2-3 flair
4-3 flair
Increase lube
This Superior kit includes 20 return springs for the reverse high clutch drum, which are many times found flattened due to heat. These springs, as are all Superior springs, are "Stress Relieved." This kit supplies a governor anti-stick spring. The KA4LD kit changes out the stock aluminum modulator valve with a special Superior design steel valve. It features an added cleaning groove to deal with the very common sticking problems. This kit also offers shift feel options.

2000bansheeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is an old thread, but my tranny's acting terrible. Somebody told me it has a shift kit in it. It must be faulty or something, maybe a sticky valve. I'm assuming I have overdrive since it has the 1-2-D-OD on the shift column or whatever but it has never even tried to shift into another gear after 3rd, and it has extremely late shifts, like over 2500rpms everytime. Shift from 1st to 2nd is terribly hard and 2nd to 3rd is a lil better. Anybody care to tell me if I should just get a new valve body and will it fix these problems.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals