Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 4.0 Liter Forum

Notices

Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Dandydon

Vehicle Year: 2011
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Dandydon is on a distinguished road
Default A/C vent control issue

2011 Ranger blows air only through defroster vents. Ford shows no parts listed for vacum pump. What controls the setting if not vacum?
Dandydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 08-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Welcome to TRS

Vent controls are operated by vacuum "motors"

Defrost is the "default" vent selection, i.e. no vacuum = Defrost only

The Vacuum it uses comes from the intake manifold, like power brake assist uses.
For vent control this vacuum is stored in the vacuum reservoir, a black plastic ball, usually located down low at the front of the engine bay passenger side, often best seen from under the truck.

From the vacuum reservoir there will be a black plastic vacuum line, looks like a wire, that runs into the firewall on passenger side, next to blower motor, you will see a grey plastic vacuum line with it, thats for Heater hose valve in engine bay.

The Black plastic vacuum line is often melted over time by exhaust heat so you loose vacuum in the cab, or it simply gets brittle and breaks
This line can be repair with regular rubber vacuum hose, the hard plastic hoses are just cheaper for Ford to use.
No clamps are needed since it is "vacuum" inside, so it "pulls" connection tighter it doesn't try to push it off, just get correct size rubber line to slide over the hard plastic line, cut a section out to take with you to auto parts store.

So I would start by first finding that black plastic line from firewall to reservoir and make sure it is OK

The Vacuum reservoirs have been know to crack and leak just from age, and even minor front end collisions can damage these.

The reservoir gets vacuum from the intake manifold and this line could have been unplugged after engine work, so once you have found the reservoir trace its other line back up to intake manifold

Last edited by RonD; 08-11-2018 at 05:26 PM.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
Dandydon

Vehicle Year: 2011
Dandydon is on a distinguished road

Thanks I will check it out.
Dandydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
Stainless10FP

Vehicle Year: 2003
Stainless10FP is on a distinguished road

Have you checked the actual switch itself? I had this same issue and it turns out the housing of the switch itself had cracked and became a major vacuum leak in the dash. I replaced the switch and all was good. 2 weeks later the new one cracked again in the exact same location. New switch arrives tomorrow but I need to find the reason it’s breaking before I put another one in.
Stainless10FP is offline   Reply With Quote