• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best upgrades to make Ranger happier on bumpy dirt roads?

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 2WD and don't go mudding or off roading but do occasionally take the back roads to go find trails. The truck handles fine, but I still wonder what upgrades I could make so that it's happier. Shocks upgrade I'm assuming? What else?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Lower tire pressure

Weight in the bed, about 400lbs

The springs need to be correct for the weight they support, many with torsion bars up front crank them tighter to raise the front end higher, well now they have too much spring for the weight of the front, so stiff ride, shocks can't change that.

Rear springs on a pickup truck are always too much for empty bed weight, cheapest way to get 1/2 ton, or more, load rating.
You can use correct springs for empty bed weight with Overload springs for when you need to haul loads, the overload springs don't touch the frame until you get above, say 500lbs, in the bed.
But not much you can do with stock rear springs except add some weight to the bed

Shocks keep the springs from continuing to bounce after hitting a bump.
They do come in adjustable rates, so you can "tune them" for YOUR BEST RIDE, not mine, lol.
Shocks are personal and specific to use, some have faster recovery rates so better on washboard roads but "stiff" on pavement.
Some are soft so if Springs are correct for vehicle weight they will provide smoother ride but won't recover fast enough to get full travel over multiple bumps, i.e. washboard

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What are you wanting to make happier? Is it a bouncy ride? Poor traction? Sticks/trees/grass getting caught underneath? Shocks are easy and fairly cheap. As RonD mentioned they make nicer shocks that you can adjust. Not sure what kind of trails you are finding with a 2wd (1wd honestly) but a good set of tires never hurt and correct pressure. If you lower the pressure be sure to have a pump to raise them back up when back on the road. So I would get A/T tires or something with a softer rubber like snow tires or something and then get some shocks. Not much you can do with it being a 2000 and a 2wd.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Good shocks help, check your leaf spring and body bushings - 20 years old now and they could be rotted away to nothing (or not and in perfect shape.) Lower gears in the rear axle help a lot with low speed driving and give you a lot more control over your path down the trail but can hurt gas mileage and reduce your top speed on the highway.

Honestly some Rangers just do not ride nice. My '89 long box single cab 4x4 rides a LOT better than my '88 short box single cab 4x4. Really not much difference between the two except a minor weight difference in the engine and the box - the '89 even has junkyard shocks and the '88 has brand new ones!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Could just get one of these and smooth out the road.

motorgrader.jpeg

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Honestly some Rangers just do not ride nice. My '89 long box single cab 4x4 rides a LOT better than my '88 short box single cab 4x4. Really not much difference between the two except a minor weight difference in the engine and the box - the '89 even has junkyard shocks and the '88 has brand new ones!
Rumor has it that wheelbase also impacts handling and ride. The longer the wheelbase, the softer the ride, if I'm not mistaken. That's why the long box rides better than the short box. It would even with identical shocks on both trucks.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I asked a mechanic a while back why my Ranger rides like a truck. He never did answer me, just gave me a strange look.....

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I asked a mechanic a while back why my Ranger rides like a truck. He never did answer me, just gave me a strange look.....
:icon_rofl: , yes, yes, yes

They don't have too, "ride like a truck" that is, but cheapest way to make a truck is to give it truck springs setup for maximum weight rating.

A Ranger(or any 1/2 ton truck), will ride better if you carry around about 600lbs between rear axle and cab, and run with Full tank of gas, that adds 140lbs :)

Take a mattress, it has coil springs, if springs are setup for 150lbs and you weight 150lb then it will be comfortable for you, if you weight 200lbs you may think it is too soft, if you weigh 100lbs you may think it is too hard.

A pickup truck would be a mattress setup for a 500lbs person, lol, pretty much too hard for most people to like
And no shock absorber will help

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good shocks help, check your leaf spring and body bushings - 20 years old now and they could be rotted away to nothing (or not and in perfect shape.) Lower gears in the rear axle help a lot with low speed driving and give you a lot more control over your path down the trail but can hurt gas mileage and reduce your top speed on the highway.

More distance between the axles helps ride quality too. Something really short coupled will be rougher than something longer.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Drive faster.... I find bumps go away the more the truck is airborne. :icon_thumby:

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok, since Dirtman went down that road, I'll offer up the best solution to this problem that I've ever found: PAVEMENT.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
:icon_rofl: , yes, yes, yes

They don't have too, "ride like a truck" that is, but cheapest way to make a truck is to give it truck springs setup for maximum weight rating.

A Ranger(or any 1/2 ton truck), will ride better if you carry around about 600lbs between rear axle and cab, and run with Full tank of gas, that adds 140lbs :)

Take a mattress, it has coil springs, if springs are setup for 150lbs and you weight 150lb then it will be comfortable for you, if you weight 200lbs you may think it is too soft, if you weigh 100lbs you may think it is too hard.

A pickup truck would be a mattress setup for a 500lbs person, lol, pretty much too hard for most people to like
And no shock absorber will help
So my ranger is a matress for a 500 pound fat girl LOL :icon_hornsup:
been there before

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Rumor has it that wheelbase also impacts handling and ride. The longer the wheelbase, the softer the ride, if I'm not mistaken. That's why the long box rides better than the short box. It would even with identical shocks on both trucks.
More distance between the axles helps ride quality too. Something really short coupled will be rougher than something longer.
I think that's totally possible. The short box would probably benefit from a new set of body and leaf spring bushings and the front end could be gone through as well... it's just funny how rough it is. My '96 short box rode pretty nice, until I put Explorer springs in the rear, that changed things a bit but was sure nice for heavy loads.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ok, since Dirtman went down that road, I'll offer up the best solution to this problem that I've ever found: PAVEMENT.
Youve clearly never driven thru michigan.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think that's totally possible. The short box would probably benefit from a new set of body and leaf spring bushings and the front end could be gone through as well... it's just funny how rough it is. My '96 short box rode pretty nice, until I put Explorer springs in the rear, that changed things a bit but was sure nice for heavy loads.
I had Explorer springs in mine for awhile. Nothing seemed to squat the truck but it rode like a one ton.

Youve clearly never driven thru michigan.
Undecided. Maintained gravel is better than neglected pavement. But if they can’t maintain pavement gravel is going to be a crapshoot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals