• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Snow tires vs LSD in the snow.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've lived in the northeast all my life so I'm no stranger to snow and have been driving in it for 25 years in all sorts of vehicles.

My current truck (09 regular cab 2wd automatic) is as expected pretty terrible in the snow. It surprisingly steers and stops quite well but take offs are always a dicey maneuver of feathering the pedal and correcting dog tracking. My general snow prep is to load some driveway snow in the bed and 2, 5 gallon buckets of sand and drop the tire psi to 15-20 psi. This does a decent job to a point but I'm weighing the benefits of dropping some money to A. Upgrade to a LSD rear and B. Get some real snow tires for at least the rear. Both are about 400-500 dollar upgrades a peice.

Chains are legal here and I do have a set but they are pretty annoying and only work when the roads are heavily snow covered and not simply icey or slushy.

Which do you guys think would benefit the most since I can't really afford good snow tires AND a LSD at the same time. So should I get the LSD to get both wheels spinning or go with snow tires first? Right now Im leaning towards the limited slip since the one wheel spins are the biggest issue and cause all the dog tracking.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is more to driving in snow than going.

LS won’t help you stop or turn.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like studded snow tires. Try to do all 4 corners.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is more to driving in snow than going.

LS won’t help you stop or turn.
Like I said, the truck stops and turns pretty good as is with just some extra weight and lower tire psi. Just wont get going.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
An LSD would certainly help but a good set of snow tires all the way around will make the biggest difference.

Snow tires are designed to allow snow to pack into the tread since snow grips snow the best. Also the compound is softer for better grip on the road and ice.

Studs help too if your roads are covered most of the time. Otherwise, they just grind down on the pavement and reduce tread grip on a bare road. If your roads are kept pretty clear most of the time, I would skip the studs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Winter tires all the way.

Changing from No seasons to Blizzaks on our Explorer Sport changed personality from being un-driveable to no longer needing 4x4, well almost. My 4x2 Ranger had 4 studded grips and I did better than most 4x4s with their all seasons.

Had I been aware of how much better winter tires made driving in ice and snow, I'd probably still own a Blazer.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Definitely cant go studded, roads just aren't covered enough to keep studs on all winter and too much hassle to swap out tires every time it snows. But Im definitely gonna buy snow tires now. Can only afford 1 pair at the moment because from what Ive seen a decent snow tire is at least 150 a peice and I need to get some rims. Maybe after Christmas ill get the second pair.

How long do snow tires last when they are stored 8-9 months a year? I probably only drive 500 miles a month, less in the winter. Will I at least get 5 years out of them?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Definitely cant go studded, roads just aren't covered enough to keep studs on all winter and too much hassle to swap out tires every time it snows. But Im definitely gonna buy snow tires now. Can only afford 1 pair at the moment because from what Ive seen a decent snow tire is at least 150 a peice and I need to get some rims. Maybe after Christmas ill get the second pair.

How long do snow tires last when they are stored 8-9 months a year? I probably only drive 500 miles a month, less in the winter. Will I at least get 5 years out of them?
Keep them in trash bags inside.

I had a customer at my last job, regular guy, even worked for us for a while. He had some snow tires that we put on for him every year. I did it for 6 years, and the last year I was there one of the tires ripped coming off in the spring, still had decent tread and no dry rot, just weren't meant to be mounted and dismounted that many times.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Keep them in trash bags inside.

I had a customer at my last job, regular guy, even worked for us for a while. He had some snow tires that we put on for him every year. I did it for 6 years, and the last year I was there one of the tires ripped coming off in the spring, still had decent tread and no dry rot, just weren't meant to be mounted and dismounted that many times.
Exactly why im buying seperate rims. But if they will last at least 5 years i feel like im not wasting money. :icon_thumby:

I should probably start another thread but... whats recommended for a 225-70r15 snow tire

Also, if i ever need my chains, will they tear up the snow tires any since they are softer? Ive used them on my current mastercraft tires and have no issues... just wondering.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
dedicated winter tires, can't beat 'em.

my 2005 reg cab 4cyl had several sets of snow/winter tires over its 346,000 miles. always had 400 lbs of tools in the bed, that helps a lot.
all season tires are terrible, snow tires are OK, dedicated winter tires on all 4 corners are great.
the last set was BFG KSI Slalom in 225-70-16. they did last 4-5 years at about 15,000 per year. current winter tires last a lot longer these days, no more getting new Blizzaks every 2 years.

they do handle different, no hard driving allowed.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have dedicated rims from the junk yard for my winter tires. I get about 4-5 years out of mine, swapping them out every spring and fall with a 5-tire rotation. The bag suggestion isn't a bad one. I've kept mine in the garage or a shed. I've yet to have dry rot or checking issues doing that.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
snows whenever possible.

chains for bad days.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The only caution I have to make is that if you do intend to get an LSD later on, make sure you have the spare in your tire rotation and that you get non-directional tires so you can properly rotate them all. Uneven tire wear can be hard on your LSD and if there is enough of a difference, could burn it out.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
The only caution I have to make is that if you do intend to get an LSD later on, make sure you have the spare in your tire rotation and that you get non-directional tires so you can properly rotate them all. Uneven tire wear can be hard on your LSD and if there is enough of a difference, could burn it out.
Unfortunately all of the best winter tires are directional.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals