• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle Body and Accelerator Cable

sanderthomas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all. About a year ago I had to replace the upper intake manifold gaskets on my 1998 Ranger. It took 4 long nights (Had to wait for my son to go to bed) but when I tightened up the last nuts and bolts, she fired right up. The thing is, she stalled and ran rough, with a marked decrease in power. I've always had problems with the acceleration seeming to take a split second to kick in (at a stop light I'd hit the gas but it seemed to take a minute while the engine seemed to think about going before it took off), but this was different. Since I couldn't seem to figure out how to tighten the accelerator cable, I adjusted the little bolt on the throttle body that hits the strike plate. A little more salient information: I was a little confused at first when I removed the throttle body for the gasket replacement job, and I wound up taking the springs that control that little arm (as well as the arm itself) off, not knowing that I could just snap the cable off and have done with it. Anyway, she still runs rough and seems to have a lack of power. It seems like this should be an easy enough nut to crack, but my experience and know-how (as acquired through Mr. Chilton) only goes so far.
Any thoughts folks have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

dylanS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
built 4.0
Transmission
Manual
i had the same problem with my 93 ranger and tried the throttle cable mod and it helped but not as much as i thought it would. I went to the local ford dealership anjd got a new throttle cable and it is running like a top again. i really doubt that u cracked that screw sounds like a frayed/stretched cable to me. not sure if its ur problem or not but thats what it sounds like to me

p38fln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 L GTDI
Transmission
Automatic
I kinda left the vacuum hose off that goes from the evaporator canister to the intake manifold when I replaced the gaskets on my intake - it ran like crap, and stalled at stop signs, shifted hard enough to chirp the tires, and still gave the P0171 code when I plugged in the scanner :)

Soo - are you getting any codes?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals