• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Running rich

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 88 2.3 that has an annoying problem of running rich and hope someone out there can think of something I haven't.It only starts doing it right when it reaches warm up.After that it starts pouring the gas into the cylinders and starts sputtering and jerking.When you step on on it it will clear it up but when you try to maintain speed it will go right back to flooding out.To date I have replaced everything I can think of involved with the fuel distribution including the fuel pressure regulator,O2 sensor,air intake temp sensor,map sensor,coolant temp sensor,TFI module and pip,complete EGR assemby,EGR vacuum solenoid,air filter and fuel injectors.I finally gave up and took it to Ford which I absolutely hate to do and 80 dollars later they had no idea what was causing it.I had them do a fuel pressure test and vacuum test and both checked out perfect.I still think it is vacuum related and tied into the EGR valve somehow but everything was replaced and checked out.I even replaced the computer and still no luck.The other weird thing is after this truck starts sputtering and flooding out,I can park and kill about 10 minutes and get back in and the problem is totally gone.Anyone got any ideas on this?

Super95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Black Ford
Engine Size
2.3 SOHC dual plug
Transmission
Manual
How do you know its rich? Does the engine light come on? Any codes? Smoke?
What about the exhaust, any restrictions, cat.conv. plugged? How do the spark plugs look? Also double check to be sure the EGR is correct, I believe there is a code stamped on the top, compare with the original. Did you replace inj. with brand new and proper # ? Don't overlook any vac. hoses for cracking. Check connections of hoses and wiring. Did you try unplugging the battery for 15+ minutes?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
What you describe is a problem when the engine switches to 'closed loop' operation. The Ford guys should have been able to take a 'picture' of all the values before the switchover and after for comparison purposes. Some have a 'flight data recorder' that can record some number of seconds of data, and freeze it at the push of a button, saving the readings just before and after the problem occurs.
Me, it sound like the MAP or fuel pressure regulator, the MAP adjusting fuel based on predicted engine load. If you have a vacuum leak, or a vacuum switch that opens when warm, that leaks too much, the vacuum will be low, and the MAP will think the throttle is wide open and will dump in lots of fuel...
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals